What sort of transformer symbol is this?

mrjimmypit

Joined May 11, 2012
What sort of tx symbol is this? I have attached part of the schematic and two pictures of the tx. It is from a SMPS, there is no parts list with the schematics which is frustrating and also the part numbers labeled on top of the tx can't be found searching the web. Any help much appreciated:)

samjohns

Joined Jan 20, 2013
it is a " switch mode transformer winding"

For more info would need more info such as: Brand, model # , etc off of unit and board revision# if any on board.

mrjimmypit

Joined May 11, 2012
Thanks, there is no othe information i can get apart from, its a power supply for a 50" Samsung plasma. If you search for the board no: BN44-00162A at elektrotanya you can get the schematics for the power supply but there isnt a parts list.

mrjimmypit

Joined May 11, 2012
ahh yes high voltage......a mere 385VDC in this part of the circuit. Thats why it pays to be an experienced electrician and have all the correct tools for repairing and testing so you dont get bitten. Electronics are a bit of a new game to me though, a bit different from the everyday industrial machinery i work on.:cool:

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
is the power supply faulty? unless you have experience working with these sort of supplys a simple to fix fault can soon turn into a major fault written off set.....what exactly is the fault with your set?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
These transformers are rarely off-the-shelf items. They are often custom made for a specific application. So you won't find the transformer's spec sheet easily in the schematic.

To evaluate if it's still working you could roughly estimate the winding ratio by driving one of the windings with a square wave (the source need to be able to provide the necessary current for that). Then you measure the voltage at the other windings. You would find out if the transformer is completely dead or not for example. See if the voltages obtained make sense.

Highest number of turns must be at 4-6, then on 1-2, the least turns on the secondary.

As others have said it will be a special transformer.
They will specify windings, number of turns, wire thickness, core type etc etc

If you really think it has gone you could unwind it taking note of numbers of turns etc. and make your own using the core.

samjohns

Joined Jan 20, 2013
again for me to help I need: more info from you such as ALL the following Brand, model number , etc off of unit and board revision# if any on board.

Also take a full picture of board in good focus and include.

timescope

Joined Dec 14, 2011
Here is a shortcut: The transformer is probably not the problem. Remove the VIPER22A ic from the circuit and check all the resistors, capacitors and diodes around it with power removed from the circuit using a DMM. Purchase and replace the ic and any other defective component.
Timescope