what solder and what size should i buy ?

angellonewolf

Joined Jan 3, 2013
i have new to me soldering stations yes 2 i bought one then got a deal on another and could not decide what one to keep so had the two there is a thread on these fourms if any one would like a look

now to my question i solder mostly 360 pads mobile phones pc motherboards and tv boards and laptop power jacks i think i use normally 1mm solder unleaded but and done well with it but from looking one line and through the forums i thinking

60-40 mix and 0.6 or 0.7 size

am i right whats your thoughts and experience im just competent in soldering not working in the industry so i am getting to the end of the solder i have got and am looking to buy a larger roll but want to get it right as i will be using it for a long time

thanks in advance angel

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You really have four combinations to choose from, 60-40 vs lead free and diameter.

For the majority of the repair jobs you have mentioned, 60-40 0.75mm is a common all-round stock.

If you are doing SMD assembly, you will need the finest (0.015") you can get.

If you are assembly or repairing equipment that requires RoHS compliance then you will have to use lead-free solder.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I imagine cell phone pads are very small, so I personally would recommend 60-40 0.012" rosin core solder, unless of course it must be RoHS compliant, then as MrChips said, you'll need to use lead-free solder.

Generally you want to use solder as fine as possible to allow for better control over the amount of solder flowed onto the joint. This helps especially when you're working with small components/pads, and with SMD work.

Personally I'd highly recommend .012" rosin core, as you don't have to worry as much about covering the joint in flux. The rosin takes care of most of that for you.

Matt

angellonewolf

Joined Jan 3, 2013
thanks for the quick reply mrchips

i just do all of my work as a hobby most jobs are for myself but have done a few for friends/nextdoor etc as my other half volunteers me if a mate has a problem with some thing i ask for a few cans of larger at the back door if i can help them out

i have done some smd in some ds consoles but have mucked through with some flux and a dab of solder to do the job

i am thinking to get leaded solder as its supposed to be easier to work with and the chance i will miff someone off with the few bits i do im sure is not much in the big scheme of things so will assume i will be ok there if i was doing it as a job or working for a company im sure that would be breaking some rules somewhere

so .6.7 sounds like what i need the differance between

60/40 and 63/37 and should i need multi core resin

and one more question to pose what weight is the rolls of solder on the 2 inch high reals looking on line its hard to tell what size the roll is

thanks again angel

angellonewolf

Joined Jan 3, 2013
thanks for the input DerStrom8 i want to do all with the one i buy as the size roll i get will prob last me years and verysmall tube you know the size i mean lasted me best part of a year but know they will remove all leaded solder in the future so want to get a good size one now so i will be ok for best part of my life lol

angellonewolf

Joined Jan 3, 2013
the one you showed is the 63/37 is this better or just the 60/40 ?
i asume more lead the easer the flow and easyer soldering ?

and should i be worried about what make ?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There is not that much difference between 63/37 and 60/40.

What brands are you aware of and in consideration of purchasing?

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
The main advantage to 63/37 [ eutectic ] is there is no time delay between melt and setup after making the connection, which helps eliminate cold solder joints...

I'm greatly surprised no one else mentioned this...

Size, depends on the job at hand... When doing chips, I cut my .012 stock into 1/32" pieces, and use one each leg... doing one leg at a time with the liquid solder dwelling on the tip, which uses it all, so I pick up another piece for the subsequent leg... works very well.

If you are putting terminals on #18 or larger wire, you want larger stock

Last edited: