What sdk do you use for making a USB driver?

ranch vermin

Joined May 20, 2015
A USB driver just sends signal down so many parallel pins does it not?
Ive got visual studio 2010, i found this sdk for 2013 but i was wondering what were people using back then - because I dont want to change my interface.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
USB
4 Pins: Power, Ground, D+, D-

What are you talking about?

Also. Normal people try to avoid writting usb drivers because it is really really hard.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
A USB driver just sends signal down so many parallel pins does it not?
Well it does, but the protocol does a bit more, for example when you plug in a keyboard the OS knows it's an input device, plug in an MP3 player and the OS knows it is a media device. USB devices have a device class - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Device_classes

What some devices do is use some readily available driver and act as that class of device.

Sorry, can't help you on the SDK question

ranch vermin

Joined May 20, 2015
Jeeze ONLY 4 pins?!?!?! Thats got to be NOT TRUE!!! how fast does it oscillate?

so d+ and d- are data, does it have simultanious read and write?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Jeeze ONLY 4 pins?!?!?! Thats got to be NOT TRUE!!! how fast does it oscillate?

so d+ and d- are data, does it have simultanious read and write?
You can take apart usb mouse and see that cable only has 4 wires.

The fact that you don't know these facts is... discouraging.

ranch vermin

Joined May 20, 2015
I just looked at 1 wire, and I thought - NO WAY could that send a screen in... but your right, just takes 1 wire the whole screen.

So let me budget a screen, 1000x1000x32=32,000,000x60=1,920,000,000 = the signal runs at 2 gigaherz. i spose all you need is to recurse one wire for a whole screen.

You dont where I come from, I know use for 100,000 wire hardware - possibly something you havent seen very often, so I accidentally didnt realize you can send a high res screen at 60hz just one wire, 2 gigahertz.

Didnt think of that yet... I always miss little things.

You want to know something - I actually need about 8 parallel wires for my project, so ill need 8 usb slots hehehe. (bad idea.)

Last edited:

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
The Microsoft Driver Development Kit used to have some reference code, I believe. Or is this for Linux?

Also, if you buy a USB interface chip, the manufacturer may have a reference driver for you to use.

ranch vermin

Joined May 20, 2015
Thanks kindly Rod. I get the main picture from the other guys. its purely a single pin read - Im astonished by the simplicity. :)