What meats would you purchase?

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Every year, my family and I go to Arizona. We look forward to having one meal at the Cowboy Club in Sedona. For years I would always get an order of rattlesnake; however, the last couple of trips they didn't have it and served python in its place. The waiter said that they are not allowed to serve rattlesnake anymore. I don't know why. I'm curious, does anyone know? Anyway, I love both, and have had gator in the past and like that too. Tried frog legs at a fancy French restaurant and it was ok, but not great.

The only species that I ever ate and really hated is ostrich. However, years ago I once tried chicken feet at a dim sum dive. I'll let you know if I ever fully recover from that experience. It's the only time that I've ever regretted my ongoing policy to try anything once, with the following exceptions.

I won't eat horse, dog, domestic cat, llama or goat because we keep them as pets. We did have one pet cow, but I'm still not opposed to eating beef. I guess if I've eaten a species before I've made friends with it, it's fair game. I guess that means cannibalism is out, no matter how hungry I get in an emergency. Although, I've never gone more than three days without food, so I don't know what real hunger is.

Humans are also off the menu because they are in my other class of exceptions. Some animals are too intelligent for me to feel comfortable eating them. This means whales, dolphins, etc. and chimps, orangutans, gorillas etc. are out, unless my life depends on it. I sneak dogs into this class too. Don't ask me to prove they are quite that intelligent, but I've stared into my dogs eyes and there is a spark of something in there, as far as I can tell.

The older I get, the less I like to eat mammals. It's not a conscious choice, but just a trend I've noticed. Salmon, turkey and chicken are the meats I eat most. They taste good, and my body feels good after I eat one of those. I'm not the type to ever be a vegetarian, but it would be trivially easy to give up eating mammals. Wouldn't miss them at all. I would make it a policy, but I want the freedom to eat whatever is available, if there is no other choice.

I love raw fish, better than cooked fish, though properly cooked fish is quite delicious. Beef is best rare. Chicken is best cooked just barely to medium. Generally, I have a real distaste for overcooked meat of any kind.

... Well, more than you needed or wanted to know, but there it is.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Florida fish and wildlife service says don't eat the snake meat.

It has been tested, its full of mercury.Rattle snakes are on the

Florida native species list,I don't about killng them,only for self

defence.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009

In my country Norway we have a lot of shoreline. Here you can find this little critter the common periwinkle. Sometimes in vast numbers. We do not think about the periwinkle as food. And I guess most people in Norway would not consider them edible at all. Snails is not food for people. They are yuck :eek: period. But in France and Spain the periwinkle is consider a delicacy. I have tasted them. They taste quite good. So what is edible or not. Is more or less tradition, I think

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009

In my country Norway we have a lot of shoreline. Here you can find this little critter the common periwinkle. Sometimes in vast numbers. We do not think about the periwinkle as food. And I guess most people in Norway would not consider them edible at all. Snails is not food for people. They are yuck :eek: period. But in France and Spain the periwinkle is consider a delicacy. I have tasted them. They taste quite good. So what is edible or not. Is more or less tradition, I think
I have boiled these kind of snails, together with mussels:

... and it's quite edible. I didn't pick the ones nearby big harbors or cities. I was here...

Only fresh and healthy seawater as long as you could see.

OK, call me weird....:p

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
A good post,you have respect for things that are important

and a good message for members to follow. You are proven

outdoors guy,respecting your countries values.You are a good

guy as long you don't eat your Rooster,the next time he go's

on strike and not walk for you and your software.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I forgot to mention camel meat. Quite common in Arabian countries, and Greece has always been a crossroad of civilizations.

It's kept in salt, and stored in bars. It's not actually a meal, more like an appetizer. I ate it only once, so I don't remember its taste well. It's said to be very tasty yet strong, and after you eat it your sweat smells - alot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastırma

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I have admit that T06 eats good,he a big outdoors guy with a

good fire place or indoor grill. Nerdgutta eat well also,we need

a cook off with pictures. There are other,I don't to leave anyone

out,show your old pictures on this post.

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I used to hunt groundhogs for sport and because the farmers considered them pests. Groundhogs eat only vegetation (soybeans in my part of the world), so you would think they might be good to eat, but not so. I tried them baked, fried, barbequed, smoked, stewed, and dried. I tried young ones, old ones, fat ones, and skinny ones. All of it was greasy and inedible.

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Back in the day when I would have tried it, there were no Armadillo in Tennessee, so I can't say whether groundhog is better or worse, but it's sure worse than possum.
Groundhog(whistle pig) is greasy,stringy and extremely funky, wouldn't eat it unless i was starving.
You can smell it's "funk" when it's cooking makes me want to hurl for real.

The old man i watched cooking and eating one told me people used to hunt them for the grease because most wild game is so lean you cant make gravy,soap etc

Now Guinea pig on the other hand looks good, i would probably try it if offered by someone whom knew how to prepare it.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
They eat it in asia and some parts of south america, namely its really big in peru. Some ethnic resturants in NY can serve it. And its legal to raise and slaughter for your own meat purposes so bottoms up on the guinnee pig.

Invasive species, whether the Asian Carp in North American rivers, the Nutria rodents burrowing holes in the levies in New Orleans, the python invasion of the Florida Everglades, the ravaging camels herds of the Australian outback, or the global pandemic of wild and feral hogs, all hold the promise of vast economic returns as the protein ingredient of commerical fish or livestock feed.

Anyone who can figure out a way to harvest any one of those pesky critters by the ton, without adversely affecting the environment, would rake in stupendous profits processing that flesh and bone into protein powder, and marketing it to fish farmers or pet food manufacturers.

Even the most unpaltable of vertebrates, mass-culled in industrial quantities from out-of-control invasive and non-native populations, could yield returns that dwarf the effort and investment involved in harvest and processing. If it is ugly, greasy or ornery and breeds too fast, recycle it for cash, and let God sort out the souls of the departed.