What mean by higher resistance of stepper motor shaft while rotating it with hand?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by crazybuoy, Nov 23, 2015.

1. crazybuoy

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 19, 2010
    I found many small and big stepper motors in market.The shaft of some motors need a low power to rotate by hand, means it has low resistance and it moves easily by hand.

And some I found that their shaft need some more hand power to rotate its shaft, means it has more resistance.

Is the level of resistance also affects the torque power?
    Has the motor with higher resistance more torque?

2. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    stepper motors generate a low voltage when turned. that messes up the resistance reading.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  3. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Greater (input) torque implies greater PM field strength and, hence, greater 'back' EMF with increased interference to the resistance indication --- Please be advised that repurposed 'steppers' are a poor expedient for generators/instrumentation transducers...

Best regards
    HP

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    crazybuoy likes this.
  4. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    Make sure that none of the motor wires are shorted to each other when doing the test. If the windings are shorted a lot more torque will be needed to tun the shaft because the motor is acting as a generator into a heavy electrical load.

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    This is called the Residual torque is a result of the p.m flux acting on the stator poles.
    As opposed to Holding torque which is the amount of torque required on the motor shaft at zero rpm that is required to move the shaft away from its holding position when powered at the rated current.
    Max.

6. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    I believe the reference here is to mechanical resistance, not electrical.

7. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    @crazybuoy -- If this is the case please see posts #4 and #5:)