what math do i need to know?

Discussion in 'Math' started by naitek, May 23, 2014.

1. naitek

Thread Starter Member

May 31, 2008
    Hey Everyone;
    i am doing a course over @ hXXX://www.digilentinc.com/ on analog circuits, and as soon as RC, RLC circuits was introduced and i saw the differentiation , integrals i got lost.
    Do i need to know these terms and how to do calculus if i want to be able to change some parts around in a circuit and do understand what is going on?

Any help/ direction would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again

-

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Being very knowledgeable about calculus is not absolutely essential in order to understand and design circuits.

Having said that, there are many places in electronics where that knowledge will improve your understanding. My suggestion is that you should not create mental barriers to calculus. Embrace it when the proper time comes. You will not regret it. It is not that difficult.

3. naitek

Thread Starter Member

May 31, 2008
    yeah; i am definately at that point and learning derivatives and integrals so that i know more. Thks..

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A lot of it isn't necessary. I am a math brick, but I had Calculus, passed it, then forgot most of what I thought I knew. The concepts come in handy though. Like area under the curve (integration).

I agree with Mr. Chips totally, embrace it. If it feels too difficult take it slow. You may need to go back and study previous math concepts to get it down.

Most of electronics is Algebra II level with some trig thrown in on the side.

#12 and naitek like this.
  5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Having forgotten almost everything I ever knew about Calculus (except that you're supposed to write it with a capital letter), I get along pretty well on Algebra and the rare use of trig to figure something out.

7. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Most books about circuit analysis will also describe the math needed at least to some extent. I suggest you take one problem at the time we all need to have some learning curve. You can use this forum for help any time

8. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    High school algebra and a bit of trig' is all you need to know in order to understand the Calculus from an elementary viewpoint.

Having said that, Laplace transforms tidy up the Calculus quite nicely for R-L-C circuits.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I found Integral Calculus pretty intuitive...then I forgot it...:D

10. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    And forgetting something is a sure sign you don't need it that much...

I take a different approach; work hard on getting the job done and done well. You will soon become an expert at all the things that actually matter.