What kind of watch do you wear?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Okay what does the fact I have not put on a watch for over 20 years and the last cell phone I had (which as of a few months ago I am now 100% cell phone free) was a Sonim military spec phone that just made phone calls and nothing else say about me? o_O
Paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur and a sharp poking stick?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Okay what does the fact I have not put on a watch for over 20 years and the last cell phone I had (which as of a few months ago I am now 100% cell phone free) was a Sonim military spec phone that just made phone calls and nothing else say about me? o_O
Is the next step going to be cutting the internet service?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Around 15 years ago I went to Malabo (Guinea Ecuatorial) to supervise the discharge of some special pipes for the oil industry. While there I was invited to visit the local market in the outskirts.

Besides cloths there were several tables were they offered an incredible variety of wirstwatches of any brand you could imagine. Thinking of a friend of mine that used to appoint me quite often for jobs as as Supercargo and who half joking half seriously insisted that I should compensate him for such preference, I bought one very impressive and incredibly heavy watch, maybe for around 10 USD. While they speak a Spanish quite similar to us, the negotiation was conducted in a funny pidgin English what I enjoyed a lot.

Back in Buenos Aires, I brought the watch to him in an appropriate box. I had the chance to see his face when he realised that he got, as a present, nothin more, nothing less than a "Roles" watch.

BTW, he never again, joking or seriously, requested any further compensation.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur and a sharp poking stick?
I like to think of myself as psychopathic hermit with a poking stick and the grandeur is well justified in my mind thank you. :p

(I'm to lazy to put the effort into being paranoid or schizophrenic.):oops:

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I have a cheap fossil watch and I have a Skeleton Relic automatic watch pictured below.. But I really only use the watches when I go out to look good or AKA my pimping outfit lol ..

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I haven't worn a watch since 2010; 3 years before I retired if that matters... I'm not addicted to my smartphone, so don't look at it or use it much either...

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
1992 Breitling Aerospace - Used the cellphone for years while this sat in a drawer. Now wearing it again and really like the time-at-a-glance. Plus, my phone will be junk in a year, this will go on.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Many years ago, I spent 39 hours 40 minutes from the first take-off (Ezeiza) to the last landing (Inchon) where I went to replace the Master of a vessel. Maybe during that flight we passed just above Joe Jester at work. It was the sole time I could see the Kurils.

The next night, before sailing to Sri Lanka, I hade the chance to spend very few hours ashore.

There was (is?) an area in down town, with a quite long street (under ground) full of small shops exhibiting the most profuse variety of wrist watches of the "best brands". They did not cost much and looked incredibly good. Nothing in the hide but openly and well known by everyone. Lot of people buying.

If you ask, no, I did not buy any.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Here is a FAKE Rolex watch that I was given when I lived in Las Vegas in the 90s. I was friends with a big wig in international gaming. He had just come back from China. Anyway, I wore this for years. It's a self-winder, kept accurate time and it still works great today. Please note that the beer in the left of the picture is a real beer and is real cold.

Attachments

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
You guys got lucky that you guys can wear one.. I just got the 2 watches above about 2 yrs ago and never really wear them cause most times I am spending time welding ,machining,and working on cars or some kind item that can just destroy my watch so I never invested in them.. Most times I just never pay attention to time and just keep on working till I am too tired or frustrated to continue..

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Here is a FAKE Rolex watch that I was given when I lived in Las Vegas in the 90s. I was friends with a big wig in international gaming. He had just come back from China. Anyway, I wore this for years. It's a self-winder, kept accurate time and it still works great today.
Some Rolex watches are fakes? Surely not...

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
some fakes are really good. Really ones are always heavy :p

I have Tissot, silver metal band. Nothing fancy, self bought grad gift. Needs new battery now, second hand is skipping 5 seconds at a time

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I have friends of mine that deal with watches cheap and some high end and they got fooled once by a copy that no one could tell it was fake until it was sent to the company to verify series numbers
Just for the record, the one I showed is a cheap fake brought from China by a friend. With the recent trend of wearing large clunky watches, I should probably re-gift it to someone.

Years ago I got a lesson on Rolex fakes while in Taiwan; at that time, the best had Seiko movements and cost about US$20. I still have one of those, but never wear it because it prompts too many questions. I also have two nice Seiko watches which I almost never wear (since leaving the rat race.)