what kind of switch

salty joe

Joined Dec 14, 2010
I am in the process of making twin algae scrubbers for a reef tank. When one scrubber is lit, the other needs to be dark.

I Googled switching power supply, well you propably know where that got me....at least I learned something.

Each scrubber will have 50 3W LEDs, they may be underdriven at 2W, but I might end up driving them at 3W. I need to see how the algae responds.

Can anyone tell me what that kind of switch is called and where I might find one? Assuming there is such a thing.

Could this switch be placed between the driver and the LEDs? If so, I could do this with a single driver.

Joe

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Check out a "Single Pole, Double Throw" switch. It will allow you to switch a single driver between two different sets of LEDs. Probably be a good idea to kill power to the driver (depending upon how it is set up) before switching the switch since it will go open circuit momentarily.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Putting "Single Pole Double Throw" into Google takes the OP directly to the switches. "SPDT" sends him to Wikeapedia. Shortcuts and abbreviations sometimes aren't the short way to an answer.

Yako

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Putting "Single Pole Double Throw" into Google takes the OP directly to the switches. "SPDT" sends him to Wikeapedia. Shortcuts and abbreviations sometimes aren't the short way to an answer.
I tell you who is cheap on switches, that's WES components. Bulk buy on ebay is comparable in price.

I usually price things well before I buy.

salty joe

Joined Dec 14, 2010
Thank you for the replies.
I Googled single pole double throw switch and that does what I want, but I need an automatic version that has an adjustable time for the switch. I anticipate switching between the scrubbers every 4-6 hours.

salty joe

Joined Dec 14, 2010
If you aren't into building timer circuits from components, you could use one of these.........
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DA...cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

If, on the other hand, you want to build something, a 555 circuit triggering a FF would work. The FF could then, through a proper driver control a SPDT relay.
Time Delay Relay-Thanks for getting me on a good start. I kinda would like to build it because I need to learn some basic electronics. Later on I'll need to build a controller for DC pumps. This would be the perfect excuse to buy a soldering gun. Can you reccomend a decent soldering gun? Something that would be good on LEDs etc.? I saw a 555 in a homemade pump controller, What does FF mean?
LOL ...

You can buy one with a digital screen up at the hardware store for 5 bucks thereabouts.
But if I found something that worked for five dollars.... I'd still get the soldering gun anyway.

Thank you guys.

Yako

Joined Nov 24, 2011
That will do adjustable duty cycle with a range up to 999 minutes? Send me a link. I want to buy one.
Duty cycle :confused: for what :confused:

Bunnings wharehouse have them for like 5 bucks with an LCD screen and multiple programmable 24hr events.

ebay maybe even cheaper. Go have a look on ebay.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Bunnings wharehouse have them for like 5 bucks with an LCD screen and multiple programmable 24hr events.
That would be nice, if our OP lives in Australia.

Most of our members live in the United States. There are also quite a few in the UK, a few in Canada, and the membership from India seems to be growing.

We really don't have very many members that are in Australia.

ebay maybe even cheaper. Go have a look on ebay.
Ebay can be a crapshoot. Sometimes you get good stuff, and sometimes you get burned. The trouble with buying something like that from an auction site is you have to pay shipping to get it delivered, and if it's no good you have to pay shipping to return it - and at that point, you may still not get satisfaction.

If you buy something at a walk-in store, you really do know where to get satisfaction.

salty joe

Joined Dec 14, 2010
Originally Posted by salty joe
But if I found something that worked for five dollars.... I'd still get the soldering gun anyway.

You want a toy or a tool?

I meant even if I could find a time delay relay for $5, I'd still get a soldering iron. A tool, yes, a tool, can't have too many tools. I'm after something that will do the trick not a piece of junk. Can that be had in the $30-$50 range? I'll only use it now & then.

I have much experience with them.
Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

Yako

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hard to complain about the price.

It is a toy though.

A decent temp controlled soldering only station can be had for a few hundred.

Instead of the gun, you can use:

*Japanese GOOT solder sucker worth around $25

I can remove 40-pin DIPs in under 2 minutes on a double-sided through hole plated board with this.

The gun is much better though of course.

Attachments

Last edited: