What Kind of Switch?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by loudog, Nov 30, 2010.

1. loudog

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm currently converting a street motorcycle to a track/race motorcycle and am trying to remove the ignition system. I have everything solved except one issue. I'm in need of some serious guru help. I'm a mechanical engineer and my knowledge of this stuff is limited, so I'm turning to the pros :D

All I'm trying to do is this:

[​IMG]

Go from one configuration where both posts are in contact to another configuration where the other two posts are in contact. Looking around it sounds like I need a double post single throw (DPST) ON-(ON). It's being used for the starter circuit so it has to handle high amperage (20-30A I think). Also, it should be a momentary switch on one side since it'll activate the starter. Finally, the switch has to be circular to mount where I want (anywhere up to 1.25" OD).

Am I on the right track? If so, where do I find this kind of switch? I looked around the internet (digikey and many others) without success. I stopped by my local supply store too without luck. Am I asking for something too specific to be an off-the-shelf product?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lou

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. windoze killa

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 23, 2006
    Yes you are on the right track. Not sure why you would need 20 to 30 amps for a starter solenoid. From memory the ones I have wired lately only draw about 5A. There are some great vandal proof push button momentary switches available. Check out Newark.com

3. loudog

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks windoze!

I was referring to the wiring diagram for the bike and forgot I was splitting several circuits...so that makes sense that 30A is overkill . Good to know you're experience shows 5A is enough.

I'll check out Newark and see if they have what I need. It's tough finding switch suppliers online!

4. loudog

Nov 30, 2010
    I found a couple toggle switches at Newark that do what I need, but no push buttons. Also, the toggles are like $25. I've googled around and founder Mouser, Allied Electric, digi-key, but got nothing.

Are there any other good sites to check?

5. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Check All Electronics -- they might have some surplus stuff that'll work.

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Have you considered walking into WalMart and getting an ignition switch?

7. loudog

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks, I'll give them a whack.

Not sure I understand. Wal-Mart may carry a switch that meets my needs?

8. loudog

Nov 30, 2010
    OK, I think I'm good. I figured out a way to modify the circuit so I can use a SPST OFF-(ON). THAT shouldn't be hard to find!

Thanks for the help.

9. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I was thinking I've seen keyed ignition switches on the racks in the store, maybe it was a hardware store. Seems like it would be the perfect solution, but maybe I didn't understand.

10. loudog

Nov 30, 2010
    Gotcha! Thanks, but part of my goal is to eliminate the need for a key. The bike will only be used at the track.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  11. windoze killa

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 23, 2006
  12. loudog

Nov 30, 2010
    Man, you have sleuth. Those would have done the trick! Looking into the diagram more though I found the first set of contacts was just to dim the headlight during startup to reduce the load...but I HAVE no headlight so that can go!

Also, I just tested the load at the starter switch...as you expected it's pretty low, only 2A. Combine that with my new SPST ability and I'm golden.

Thanks again.

13. windoze killa

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 23, 2006
    Bill is in the mail. :D