What kind of motor is this?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by droggie, Sep 22, 2013.

1. droggie

Thread Starter Member

Oct 21, 2012
    I want to replace this motor I took from a desk fan. Can anyone tell me what this type of motor is called?

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Shaded pole.

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    +1 on the shaded pole, single phase induction motor, recognized by the copper shorted turns providing phase shift.
    3 wires into the motor is not common, however?
    Max.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  4. droggie

Thread Starter Member

Oct 21, 2012
    I'm guessing it's a POT.

5. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    3 wires are common in desk fans, one is neutral other 2 are for 2 different speeds, active switched betwean either one.

6. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    also we find these shaded pole induction motors with 3 wires in some microwaves used as the cooling fan for the mag....the extra wire being used to drop the supply and feed a low voltage turntable motor......

7. Gdrumm

Distinguished Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I've seen some with a thermal fuse, what kind of problem are you having?

8. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    More likely a switch.

Ken

9. droggie

Thread Starter Member

Oct 21, 2012
    The bearing will not turn. I tried lubricating it. It turns on, but just vibrates as if it's stuck.

10. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012

It's been several years since I worked on old record players/turntables, but most had those same SP motors.

Did you happen to remove the bolts and nuts for the bearing housings?

Or, knock them out of alignment?

Try to re-adjust the linear bearing surfaces by lightly shifting the bearing mounts.
    Loosen the bolts very little, once the motor starts spinning, carefully tighten the bolts back down.

The bronze bearings/bushings, do have some adjustment in both ends. Not much, though.;)

May take you a few tries to get it just right.

Droto likes this.
  11. Droto

Sep 23, 2013
    Why bother? Fans are $13 US at wal-fart, unless you're bored...lol

12. Droto

Sep 23, 2013
    Metalman, you are correct. I will add that he / she should drown the (both if needs be ) bearing in a good grade of lubricant and spin it by hand a few times. MOST bearings now-a-days are "Oil-lees" meaning they are impregnated with its own supply of oil. If it still just "Sits-There"...the motor wiring is junk....IMO

13. Gdrumm

Distinguished Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Many times they must be disassembled, and the ends of the shaft cleaned with scotch-brite, or other mild abrasive. I even have a small tool that I attach to a drill, and clean out the bushings in the same way. Then lube, reassemble, making sure you can spin the shaft easily by hand, and it's usually good for another 20 years, (or 1 year if made in China).

14. droggie

Thread Starter Member

Oct 21, 2012
    One of he bolts striped and one of the bushing is missing. I'd try replace the motor, however these types of motors seem quite expensive.