What kind of microcontroller might this be?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Minuette, May 10, 2016.

1. Minuette

Thread Starter New Member

May 10, 2016
    Hi all!

I want to copy this small circuit. It is a led flasher that also can have a steady beam. I'm told the only component probably is a microcontroller.

My question is, what kind of small, and very flat, microcontroller (what type) is it, and if a regular guy like me can duplicate it with a "burner"? I did the quotes because the componant really looks like a small cheramic capacitator with 3 or 4 legs. I'm not sure.

I am a total beginner with this kind of stuff, but i have been programming for +20 years, so with some study on the subject i'm sure i can pull it off.

I just dont know what kind of microcontroller that little bump on the PCB might be?

Here is a picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/73934srk66166uw/IMG_0502.JPG?dl=0

Thank you in advance!

2. Art

Distinguished Member

Sep 10, 2007
    You probably can’t duplicate it easily. Commercial code will be protected, but it doesn’t matter.
    Let’s say it’s a pic 12C509A then (just an example with a built in RC clock).
    It wouldn’t take long to write the program you want.

3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    The ivory-colored blob may be a circuit on board (COB). That is, the bare MCU chip is on the PCB and covered with an epoxy-like blob. You cannot buy them in small numbers.

If you want something really small, the 10F series at Microchip will fit that bill; however, I think you would be more comfortable with a 12F chip if this project is your first time with microcontrollers.

John

4. Minuette

Thread Starter New Member

May 10, 2016
    Thanks for your replies!