what kind of inductor is this?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's labeled as a dual noise choke, but experience with switching power supplies tells us that 60 uH @ 20 amps could be useful in several ways.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
the magnetic properties of common mode chokes in reality are not so good for SMPS or dc/dc applications.

I tried some common mode chokes with a TL494 circuit but they did not work well.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thanks everyone for the answers. I looked at Vishay/Dale and on the web, but couldn't find any information for it.

Eric, if it is a common mode choke, will it still work as an inductor, if only one winding is used? Would you know if the rating in Henries is for a single coil separately?

I'm looking for an inductor to smooth the DC discharge from a capacitor bank into a spark gap. For a pulsed EDM.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
the magnetic properties of common mode chokes in reality are not so good for SMPS or dc/dc applications.

I tried some common mode chokes with a TL494 circuit but they did not work well.
"Not so good" is a pretty sweeping description. It really depends on the core material and frequency. A micro Henry is not always a microhenry. Iron powder, carbonyl iron powder, Sendust, permalloy, supermalloy, and dozens of "ferrite" compositions.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Please go to check AWG 9(19A) and AWG 13(7.4A) on the AWG Wire Sizes.

Please also see here.

Comparing with the linked of shortbus and what I linked, if you know which one is right please let me know, thanks.
I'm not going to contradict the manufacturer of the choke. However, I can see I was reaching to suggest this choke could be used in a switching supply. The frequencies would be too high for the wire diameter to be effective because of skin effect.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
No not really. :) You can do a switching supply with thick wire turns on a toroid and run just fine at 20kHz or more.

The big issue will be core material, if it designed for "choke" or suppression use the core material may be lossy and not good for SMPS use.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Eric, if it is a common mode choke, will it still work as an inductor, if only one winding is used? Would you know if the rating in Henries is for a single coil separately?

I'm looking for an inductor to smooth the DC discharge from a capacitor bank into a spark gap. For a pulsed EDM.
hi SB,
I would agree with Roman, the type of material used for the toroid is unknown, to check it out, give the choke a test run on your project and check the result.
E

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
My real reason for wanting to try an inductor is two fold.

1.To smooth the voltage into the spark gap.

2. The biggest reason is to help reverse the phasing of current flow in the spark gap. It's my understanding the discharge from a capacitor the current leads the voltage. Ideally in my application the voltage should lead the current, which again to my understanding, is the way an inductor discharges. But I have been wrong in my thinking many times since starting on my journey.

An EDM is in many ways like a welder, except an EDM removes metal instead of adding it. The voltage needs to lead the current to break down the gap and then the current should flow and melt the metal. Tig and Mig welders use an inductor to do this. Some one on another forum years ago said this, output inductor, would be beneficial. From what I've been reading, he was probably right.

This project has been a long going quest for me. The mechanical parts have been finished for over 10 years. I'm from a machining backround, and starting to learn electronics to finish this project. There are plans out there for DIY EDM machines, but they are a poor excuse for EDM, compared to what can be done. My goal is to make one that people can build themselves and really do some work with.