What kind of flux??

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dr.killjoy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    I was doing a little repair work of a T.V. and using a ChipQuik on smd chips which works surprising well.. But I am pretty new to using smd parts and I would like to know what kind of flux do you use and where do you get it ???

Thanks
    Jason Sr

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
  3. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    I know where to get them but I was more or less just trying to see what people use like paste or liquid and what brand seems better or not ..

Thanks
    Jason Sr

4. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    flux and smd components tend to get messy and sticky when used together.

I like to use some fine 000 grade steel wool and clean the pads and ends of the smd component, or 400 grit emery for components with 'legs'. using flux cored solder is sufficient to attach the component if the solder points are properly cleaned and are shiny and un-oxidized.

My major complaint with smd components is anchoring them to the board before they are soldered. Large multi-lead packages are easy. You just tack one leg down and the component stays put. components with only two ends(resistors and caps etc.) are the real pain in the butt.

Gdrumm likes this.
  5. rc3po

Feb 12, 2014
    Hi Gentlemen,
    There are plenty of videos on u-tube about soldering SMD's. I think I watched just about all of them last year when I started learning electronix.