What kind of cap is this?

Krafter

Joined Mar 3, 2010
Hi everyone. I am new here and I don't know much about electronics. I have a crossover out of a loud speaker that went bad. There is not much on the board so I thought I would just replace the 4 caps since it has to be on of those IMO. I know I can replace the caps if I knew what they are but I can't seem to idinify them and I was hoping that you all could help. See the picture.

The markings on the big cap are 156J250----AVA CL20. Any help you can give would be great.​

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That should be 15 uF, 250 volts. Those film types are not cheap. You might want to look harder for the cause of the failure before just replacing them out of hand. It's more likely for a speaker to die before a crossover element. At least check the coils for continuity.

Krafter

Joined Mar 3, 2010
thank you for the reply.

The symtomes that the speaker was showing was almost like a chater (that is why I suspect a cap and not a resistor or coil). To prove that it was the crosover I removed it and tested both the 12" and the tweater indavidually and they sounded fine. The replacement cost for the crossover is somewhere between $40 and $60.

edit:
I can see now how you was able to say it is a 15 uF, 250 volt cap by looking at the markings on it, but what does the 6J indicate? There are more caps on the board with a 5J (x2) and a 4J.

Last edited: