What is with kids these days?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I think we found another source as to the effects of drugs....:p

When you quote something, be sure to leave it within the context. It goes on to say:

and

To claim that marijuana use doesn't affect you is foolish, the point of smoking it is to affect your brain!
At the very least, it causes your short-term memory capabilities to become compromised.
The only real effect I get is a shifted flow of time.

It only really happens when there is a sensory load on the brain.

For instance we have a food supermarket here in a basement with a long stairway escalator. It actually takes ages. Years. It is quite funny. While in reality, about only one minute has passed.

I once saw a lightening strike when I smoked. I saw an instant smaller flash going upwards, and a tiny moment after that, a large cloudy mass of light rather flowing towards earth. That was totally impressive.

It is maybe not for everyone. As I say- there is use, and there is abuse.

OP was wondering about how a today's youth considers the action to do a compromized rap-style com. I was thinking to me it looks adulterated but I could be wrong.

I think OP raised a controversial topic and should be able to maintain it. If he does not want MJ to be discussed, or moved, so be it. I do not mind.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
A lot of people, not just kids, have grown accustomed to "Instant Completion", similar to instant gratification.

Think of it as "Plug and Play LIFE". They click here, text there, and everything is done for them.

They don't understand what makes things work, but you hear all about it if something doesn't work "as fast as it should", when talking about a 10 second database transaction time vs. < 1 second. They have no clue what is actually happening, but whatever it is, it should be faster.

Then, in the workforce, they expect more money, faster. Promotions should be every month or so, with pay raises every other week.

The form of "English" communication has been reduced to what can be quickly typed in twitter size or facebook size snippets. This means leaving out what they think of as "not important information".

These posts have been more frequent on this forum lately, where they don't even bother to state the problem, they simply scan it, post on several forums, and say "Please solve this showing all work", then get angry when nobody does it for them. This is also a way for teachers to not find them by searching for their questions/problems, since images are harder to match, so helping the student ends up turning out students without a clue.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
These posts have been more frequent on this forum lately, where they don't even bother to state the problem, they simply scan it, post on several forums, and say "Please solve this showing all work", then get angry when nobody does it for them. This is also a way for teachers to not find them by searching for their questions/problems, since images are harder to match, so helping the student ends up turning out students without a clue.
...don't forget to email the response to them because they aren't coming back!:eek:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
So this is a phenomena some kind of degeneration of communication. Maybe OP wanted to limit it on the style of communication without to examine a larger picture.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What is sad that we have a few forum members that write very similar to that kid and they come from English speaking countries. That is why they are now on my block list. I just couldn't take it anymore.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
What is sad that we have a few forum members that write very similar to that kid and they come from English speaking countries. That is why they are now on my block list. I just couldn't take it anymore.
What I believe only the internet has demonstrated to humanity the diversification of individuals that always existed accross the population but it was not known to that extent previously.

When you look at this Egypt stuff you don't take it literally you examine the equivalent or the larger picture.

Attachments

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
So this is a phenomena some kind of degeneration of communication. Maybe OP wanted to limit it on the style of communication without to examine a larger picture.
The OP wants to discuss this topic, not whether or not marijuana is good/bad for you. There is no limitation on "the big picture", but your narrow reasoning that this is in no way caused by drug use narrowed the scope, however briefly, to that discussion.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have come to the understanding the primarily purpose of this rant would be to discuss the style of communications and their degeneration. Not MJ. It is good for me :) It helps me to break up stale perceptions. I'll not mention it again in the thread.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I have come to the understanding the primarily purpose of this rant would be to discuss the style of communications and their degeneration. Not MJ. It is good for me :) It helps me to break up stale perceptions. I'll not mention it again in the thread.
I must be stale, you've sure open my eye's.

I've learned things I never new existed?

Did you happen to notice I didn't even use one smilie.

I did refer to one though......

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Thats pretty bad... Well theres a reason our latest gen I think its 25 and under is considered the dumbest generation ever. I think they will loose that title for each new gen that comes. Like Idiocracy in real life. Its happening before our eyes.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Kind of

RT: Justin Beiber haz new tattoo OMG

What is the value of such communications?

You can say L Ron Hubbard was a rogue psychiatrist, however there is something called "Communication course".

If you match that up with the distorted com (in post #1), you can really analyze it to that criteria from the communication course.

Communication particle. Subject.
Reception. Receiver.
Acknowlegement. Understanding.
Termination.

These are all elements present in proper human communications.
Both sides must understand the subject as such.
communication particles are exchanged.
They are received.
Then they are understood, and acknowledged.
The communication is also properly terminated.

In the questioned com., most of the above elements are actually NOT present.

You don't owe anything to Hubbard if you use proper techniques for your communications. It is indeed the only way to do successful communications.
Many of the writings he produced were indeed based on research of that time. Some influence from early computer programming, and also from 1950s psychiatry.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I don't think most of the responders to that video are native English speakers. Structure may not be present in a short succession of verses, in the form of comments, but surely we cannot judge by the lack of grammar in those posts.

I have another theory:
People where always like this. Some were literate and most of them weren't literate at all. A few of them at the margin of communication ability.
In the past, you could socialize with a very limited group of people, most of them very much alike with you. Thus, if you were a literate person, you would think that your whole world would be pretty much like you.
[...]Let them eat cake[...]
However, modern technology has allowed for communication between individuals of very different backgrounds. Virtually everybody with an internet connection (that comes without a language proficiency certificate) can (try to) express himself and his message will reach a very wide audience, who suddenly realizes that this person, even though he can write or speak makes no sense at all.

I believe we were simply oblivious to the amount of illiteracy of our societies. When we were kids we couldn't rationalize that our friends could hardly write their names down and by adulthood we already had cut ties with this kind of people.

Family might be the only reminder of that fact. I am lucky (or unlucky?) to have family members whom I cannot understand via a medium quality phone call. That is the level of pronunciation and punctuation they possess.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
When I was a teen the commonplace for me indeed was computer games, including to obtain them.

Later many of my peers delved into so-called dance, rave and disco scene, which I also observed on the margin.

After that, the internet came to life.

One crucial point is really to know and understand oneself.

Where do I come from (not literally)? What are my roots?
Where I am going? Where do I want to go?

Not everyone has to be fully educated including to posess intellectual skills, to be able to exchange opinion via the means of democratic discussion, or to be able to do a proper writing.

It would be helpful if the education system instills some basic things such as awareness of oneself, and basics of regular communications.

From what I experienced, it is largely cluttered, not matching together, nowadays there even exists an agenda to push sex education into primary school.

Some nations such a Korean or japanese are pretty much aware of their national and cultural roots, even if you'd be able to encounter the most rogue and profane individuals there with little or no intellectual skills.

However they do have some basic orientation about their belong as such.

Lack of roots is a serious problem, without roots nothing can grow.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have another theory:
People were always like this.

can (try to) express himself and his message will reach a very wide audience, who suddenly realizes that this person, even though he can write or speak makes no sense at all.

I believe we were simply oblivious to the amount of illiteracy of our societies.
So, I'm surrounded by idiots, but now they are trying to write sentences...and failing.

That makes sense. I've always felt that I was walking (nearly) alone in a sea of mediocrity. It's just easier to confirm when they display their (lack of) skills in public.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Apathy, is created when our Society allows the General population, to be lulled into fallacies.

Such as a Child going to school means their educated> (False) we just push them through.

Schools are not a daycare for the middle class.

Someone needs to take responsibility, maybe the failure in the economy will create an educational hunger, defeating apathy in the child and stimulating a desire for knowledge.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Schools are not a daycare for the middle class.
They were for me.
I feel that I was sentenced to 13 years of daycare, which used up a lot of time I could have spent educating myself. When I was 7 years old, I corrected the teacher about the fact that the southern hemisphere of our planet is 600 miles larger in diameter than the northern hemisphere. She just gave me a blank stare. After that, I was just serving time until I finished my sentence. The real education was in the library.

I wouldn't be surprised if I found that today's schools don't even HAVE libraries.