What is this?

vjlore

Joined Jun 24, 2009
Hello All
I need help in identifying this item. This is for a battery charger. The silver plate is attached to the negative cable. The wire that goes to the top component has been heated so bad that it burnt off the insulation. That wire in turn comes from a transformer? I do not know much about these and could use some help. This is a 2/10/40 amp charger.
Thanks

Attachments

Do you have access to the other side of the silver plate? It could be rectifier diodes with a large heat sink, where the silver plate is the heat sink. Seeing the component on the other side would be a big help...

vjlore

Joined Jun 24, 2009
Stayathome
These pieces are riveted to the plate. There is nothing behind the plate. I cannot take the plate off without breaking the clips. I stated that the negative cable was attached to it, I was wrong it's the positive. The negative is attached to this other piece and it also looks like its broken. I wondering if this could be fixed or should I just look for another charger.
Thanks for your time

Attachments

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Just a guess, but I think you are looking at a pellet type rectifier. The plastic holds it in contact between the plate (negative lead) and the transformer winding. Center tap of the transformer would be the positive lead. Again, just a guess. If so, drill out the rivets and replace with stud mount rectifiers.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I think they are rectifier diodes too, but just 2 plain old silicon diodes in a heatsinkable package (ie a HALF bridge). If i'm right they will measure like silicon diodes from each lug to the stud. A quick test with a multimeter should confirm it.

vjlore

Joined Jun 24, 2009
Taking a meter reading of the bottom four (I removed the wire on them to take the reading) I get the following. With the positive lead on the lug and negative on the plate I get 278-290 k ohms. Reverse the leads and get no reading. There are six of these, the top two are the ones that are burnt out. The one on the right reads 0 either way and the one on the left reads 298 k ohms and 2M ohms the other. Where could I find these or a replacement?
Thanks

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Good work. They appear to be a half bridge as I guessed.

You can get a 25A bridge rectifier and just connect 3 of it's wires so you use it like a half bridge. Any electronics supplier should have big rectifier bridges for a few dollars.