What is this thing? Supreming AV Lab D2881

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by danrulz98, Dec 27, 2012.

1. danrulz98

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Well, my googling has turned up almost nothing on this chip, other than it's a DVD player controller.

I have a portable DVD player I'm trying to modify into a portable monitor, and the main IC is this: http://i49.tinypic.com/33z7lhz.jpg

You can see it with it's companion chip, a D2891. The chip to the right seems to be a RAM module, and on the other side of the board is a FLASH memory chip. The companion chip seems to deal more with the laser control and data communication with it, the connector right next to it would go to the laser assembly.

Now, I've traced back the composite video output jack to the CPU here, and I figured that this connection must also feed the LCD, right?
    I cut the trace with an exacto knife, and sure enough the composite video out is no longer connected to the CPU, but the LCD still works.

So, this thing is either much more complicated than I was hoping and I really need a schematic to take it apart... or the CPU is controlling the LCD directly.

Up above the RAM chip, you can see a chip labeled with "UPD5100", and a lot of pins on this chip are going into the bundle that goes up to the LCD.
    http://i47.tinypic.com/x55fgw.jpg

Any googling of the numbers on this point to it possibly being a multiplexer?

Now, the LCD its self is a LG/Philips LB070W02... and googling of that turned it up to be a VGA panel. So, I'm guessing there's a VGA output on that main CPU on top of the composite out.

So, it might be better to work with just the LCD its self rather than messing about with the rest of the unit. Ideally, I'd like to have a composite input on it for use with security cameras and such (I don't really have any use for it as a DVD player).

Well, any input is appreciated, even if its "Scrap the thing and keep the LCD".

2. cclein

Sep 6, 2014
    I have the same DVD player I believe and was wondering if you made any headway with this?