what is this schematic symbol

dalerp

Joined Oct 20, 2009
I am looking at a crane control system and see an unknown to me symbol. It looks like a pair (two sets) of contacts of a relay in series. On one of the parallel lines making each set of contacts there is a triangle shape flag flying

II II a flag on the second I of each pair at the top pointing to the right

thanks for any and all help

Attachments

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I am looking at a crane control system and see an unknown to me symbol. It looks like a pair (two sets) of contacts of a relay in series. On one of the parallel lines making each set of contacts there is a triangle shape flag flying

II II a flag on the second I of each pair at the top pointing to the right

thanks for any and all help

can you post a pic or the schematic??

dalerp

Joined Oct 20, 2009
thanks for help so far
I added a pdf attachment in the beginning post
the unknown symbol are the ones that look like relay contacts (ladder logic?) with flags
thanks

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
On the schematic of the RTU's I used to work on (Remote Terminal Unit - Part of a SCADA system) that was the symbol I remember for a relay contact.

The coil that caused the contact to close was not always right near the "contacts" on the schematic.

MAYBE, not sure, but MAYBE those are relay contacts.

Hate to say it, but seeing the WHOLE schematic would help. (Not that I'd be any more sure of my statement - my experience with industrial schematics is very limited.) My work on those RTU'S was 20 years ago!

Or, maybe ELECTRONERD is right.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
They definately resemble ladder logic, but I've never seen it quite like that. Still, relay contacts would be my first guess. I haven't seen anything like it before.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
dalerp,

Take a multimeter and set the selection on capacitance. See if there is a notable quantity of capacitance and then you can verify whether they are caps or not.

dalerp

Joined Oct 20, 2009
M1 is the Drive Enable Contactor
these maybe aux. contacts on M1???
these contacts? go to partially enable the power to release the brake.

I just wonder why they are double?
and what the flags mean.

Thanks to all for all the help

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I just wonder why they are double?
and what the flags mean.
If they are relay contacts, putting them is series may be a safety measure in case one hangs up or gets welded closed. We do that on our high-power winch contactors. We also put an LED across them, so you know if one has hung up.

John

dalerp

Joined Oct 20, 2009
Thanks for everyones help

I came across a standard symbols table here at work and found the symbol

it is a contact with magnetic blowout. (20 amps and over)

Thanks again