What is this resistor for?

peck68

Joined Nov 27, 2009
But then that would dwarf the 330k resistor? Im not even sure what that is used for lol :confused:

Silly question of me but I haven't used crystals before, but why do i even need resistors in that section? Surely the crystal isnt going to produce a whopping current

Looking here:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/oscillator/crystal.html

The crystal is just connected directly to the chip (even though it is a microprocessor, a 4060 still has the same inputs - ish)

Last edited:

Von

Joined Oct 29, 2008
I believe it is to reduce any voltage differential across the crystal. Such voltage can lead to aging and reduced lifetime.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
What are you trying to do, I may be able to help.

You can add up a bunch of resistors to = 15M..It doesn't have to be 1

peck68

Joined Nov 27, 2009
Oh I was just making a 1Hz clock generator - looking through my parts bin I realised I had not a resistor above 1M ;)

However on Maplins there is a 10M, 3M9 and a 1M resistor, I do have a 100K though - I could just couple them all together and get it that way as you said

I only made this topic to see if there was a way round me buying even more stuff :rolleyes:

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The 15M value is not terribly critical.
Try it with 5M and see if it works.

The point of it is to make certain that the oscillator starts. Without that resistor, the oscillator could get "stuck" on start-up.

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
The 15M resistor is there to bias the CMOS gate that is used as a crystal oscillator. The value is not critical. High as possible but 10M will work OK.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It divides the 32768Hz xtal frequency down to a 1-second pulse. Very useful for clock projects.
Actually it is 2 Hz minimum. You need another external flip flop, but other than that I agree totally with Wookie, including the try alternatives and see if it works.

peck68

Joined Nov 27, 2009
Shouldnt need to? The 2Hz is divided by 2 to make 1Hz? Anyway

I cant understand why my led isn't lighting :( i tried it with just the 4060 to get it to flash every 0.25 secs - yet its not even lighting up at all :confused:

Is it a dud CMOS or crystal? I am using a 10M resistor instead of 15 by the way

---

Edit: Ahaaa, sorry i am so stupid :D

Had the resistor that connects the led a row below it (i keep doing this with breadboards) so it wasn't getting any power

Flip flop works good by the way, no need for another one (unless i want 0.5hz)

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Show us how your doing it (a schematic). CMOS doesn't drive LEDs very well, you'll need something like this...

It is also entirely possible that your oscillator isn't oscillating.

peck68

Joined Nov 27, 2009
No it does work now - just didn't have it connected up properly ;)

(except its a 10M resistor instead of 15, and those 1k resistors are 10k)

Last edited: