What is this component?!?

Paragon

Joined Dec 8, 2009
It will look like a large flat ceramic capacitor. Most of the time you will see them with heatshrink wrap around them. If they blow, sparks will fly (especially when you are running on 200 or 400+ volts - will blow a hole in the side of the MOV hence the heatshrink. A double layer might be good))
They do their job and protect the equipment.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
He means that they will put a piece of heatshrink tubing on, shrink it, and then put another piece of heatshrink tubing on over the first piece, and shrink that.

It keeps the pieces from flying around more effectively that way.

YazanJuve

Joined Dec 13, 2009
He means that they will put a piece of heatshrink tubing on, shrink it, and then put another piece of heatshrink tubing on over the first piece, and shrink that.

It keeps the pieces from flying around more effectively that way.
if you can get me a picture showing that heatshrink and how to add another one over it that will help me a lot :)

Paragon

Joined Dec 8, 2009
Really depends on your voltage. When I was first introduced to an MOV, it was in a high power test lab equipment (we are talking 480V 3phase or whatever it was) and there was a surge over night. Machine wouldn't go on. Finally saw that the power boox illuminate inside when the power breaker was closed. There were the sparks. MOV was the size of a quarter with a hole straight through it. I think it had one thick layer of heatshrink on it which contained most of the sparks. The rest of the MOV was vaporized.

Anyhoo.. back to heatshrink. It is just the black tubing you slip over connection and heat with a lighter/match/whatever and it shrinks. usually can get 2:1 or 3:1 (shrinks to half or a third original size) Just get a diameter large enough to go over the MOV and have at it with the heat. Don't worry about double layering.