what is this component on crt tv neck board..

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
1. please see attached pic, it's the silver one that looks like an oscillator says 104 something.. what is it? thanks!

2. Where do I locate the 3.58 Mhz oscillator (I think this is for the chroma circuit..) in a crt tv? is it on the main board or the neck board?

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Main board. Usually the parts on the CRT neck are related to convergence - getting the electron beams from the red, green, and blue guns to align correctly.

Even with surface mount components on the bottom side, usually the crystal is a top side component. They almost never fail, so why are you looking for it?

ak

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
My crt tv powers on in color but after several minutes (warm up?) it turn b/w. I poked around on google and some article mentioned xtal might need replacement.. Any other possiblilities I should look into? Thanks!

Main board. Usually the parts on the CRT neck are related to convergence - getting the electron beams from the red, green, and blue guns to align correctly.

Even with surface mount components on the bottom side, usually the crystal is a top side component. They almost never fail, so why are you looking for it?

ak

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you can locate the Chroma section, you can use a aerosol can of 'Artic Air' to freeze suspected components and see if freezing a particular component brings it back.
Xtals do not normally fail like this, usually a semiconductor associated with it, or in the chroma section.
Normally nothing attached directly to the CRT itself will cause this problem.
Max.

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Agree. "after several minutes" is a classic thermal problem symptom. Could be a bad or missed solder joint, where something making friction contact moves a fraction of a mm with heat.

ak

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
ok, i can believe that. what's the physics behind freezing making it work again?

took some more photos. i swapped out the 3.58Mhz xtal - no difference, I looked on the underside of the pcb, i see some orange grud around solder joints, i think some of that short out the pads, what is that orange thing anyway? so i cleaned it out with hydrogen peroxide because i have no alcohol and let it dry up (photos show after cleaned out). Tv seems to be in color now when i turn on, but need to leave it on for a while to really know if that did the trick..

also, what is that toshiba chip? is that the chroma chip? online datasheet only reads in japanese..

If you can locate the Chroma section, you can use a aerosol can of 'Artic Air' to freeze suspected components and see if freezing a particular component brings it back.
Xtals do not normally fail like this, usually a semiconductor associated with it, or in the chroma section.
Normally nothing attached directly to the CRT itself will cause this problem.
Max.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Probably a dated version of Toshiba TA8759B which is out there in app sheet.
I think the Arctic-air trick is your best bet, components often change after current/heating and taking them back to ambient or below, brings them back for a while.
It's a very old servicing trick.
Max.

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Resolder that jungle chip. I can see multiple pins with full circle fractures from here! :eek:

Make sure to add fresh solder to every joint, and keep wiping that old dirty solder off the soldering iron tip.
:)

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The orange crud looks loke old flux. Usually not a problem, and when it is it isn't thermally dependent.

Also, there probably isn't a single "color chip". Several, or maybe all, bvideo signal processing can easily fit in a 40 pin DIP of this vintage. The 8759 mentioned above takes the output of the IF stages and does all video, chroma, and sync processing for three different broadcast video standards.

ak