What is this? a resistor?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
They are clearly labeled as 2 watt resistors. The symbols are those of resistors. 1000 ohms and 10,000 ohms are standard values. The Fr prefix is a mystery, but the resistors seem pretty ordinary in most respects.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
from where they are on the circuit and the wattage, I would say fusing resistors sarge.....

Paradise: FR is one of the series, do google search for FR series resistors....

My .02

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I was taught it meant Flame Resistant meaning that even though it may get hot and burn up, it will not produce or support flame. The ones I dealt with were of a sandy covering.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Even so, it's good to have the proper terminology stated regardless of how it accomplishes it. Just my .02. :)

Well then the proper terminology to be used WITH THE RESISTORS in question is FUSING RESISTORS..... the FIRE RETARDANT IS IN THE COATING OF THE RESISTORS REGARDLESS ON HOW IT FUNCTIONS.

My .02

Attachments

Last edited:

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Well then the proper terminology to be used WITH THE RESISTORS in question is FUSING RESISTORS..... the FIRE RETARDANT IS IN THE COATING OF THE RESISTORS REGARDLESS ON HOW IT FUNCTIONS.

My .02
I see that you're using a lot of capitals. Does that mean that you're mad at me? I didn't say you were wrong. I said (paraphrasing) "It would be beneficial to have the correct terminology posted". I didn't even imply that I knew what the accepted terminology is, ... and I didn't.

FR is a type of resistor that does not catch on fire when overloaded. Fire-Retardent.
Why then, when this was posted you said...

:confused: that is why it is referred to as a Fused Resistor, it burns out the fuse before it catches on fire!
Obviously, you knew what it meant. So why didn't you just correct him?

Now we all know and we're better off for it. Thank you for making the correction. :)

EDIT: Actually, that last quote of yours did essentially say that. So I guess you have a right to me miffed at me. Sorry!

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I see that you're using a lot of capitals. Does that mean that you're mad at me?
No, I don't get upset over little stuff, was just trying to accentuate the point of the FR series resistor ;)..... not trying to butt heads with anyone, I also welcome any and all corrections if I make any mistakes, (which is a given, I make a lot!:rolleyes:).... that's what I am here for is to learn, and hopefully pass it on to someone else down the line....