What is the standard for pressure?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I don't see a yet-to-be-discovered issue here so it is a question of semantics or other misunderstanding.
I too am beginning to think that this discussion has been revolving around semantics.
On the other hand, I have to admit that I find Bahn's historical and anecdotal references rather enjoyable, and don't think them lengthy at all.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
More clearly this time, what do you view as the gold standard in measuring pressure.
That question can't be answered without establishing the context better. As already indicated many times, the very phrase "gold standard" is largely informal and often has as much to do with practical environmental factors as much and anything else. Furthermore, what is meant by "measuring pressure" depends on the purpose and requirements of the measurement. Would YOU claim that a mercury manometer is the "gold standard" for measuring ultra high vacuums in the 0.1 micropascal range? If not, then you are admitting that your question has no absolute answer.

Instead of any answer I got an unnecessary history lesson and a description of primary standards (also in unnecessary). A definition if a meter is in no way a description of a gold standard in pressure measuring techniques.
The description of the meter was in response to someone else (with the contexts of the response and who it was directed toward indicated by the quoted material at the top of the post). You were completely free to ignore it.

So, if someone wants to measure pressure, what is the Gold standard technique? As far as I know, NIST does not have an "official pressure gauge" traceable back to primary standards. All they do is generate a pressure that is traceable back to primary standards. They will happily calibrate nearly any pressure gauge you want to send them based on their master pressure source (I believe they will decline a calibration request if they believe your tool will not maintain calibration for ant reasonable time.)
They generally use a "transfer standard" which is akin to the null-measurement galvanometer techniques often used for high-precision voltage measurement. Presently they use gas and fluid piston balances. They have two or three primary standards for each and then several reference standards that are calibrated to them.

So, if a NIST-calibrated mercury manometer is not a gold standard of measuring pressure, what measurement technique do you suggest a tradesman or scientist use if they need a pressure measurement?
How would the use of a NIST-calibrated mercury manometer be materially different than using any other NIST-calibrated pressure measurement device?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I too am beginning to think that this discussion has been revolving around semantics.
It seems that way with 'Gold' standard'. A gold standard' in our industry is a reference to the result of a process step or machine that other processes or machines are tuned to. You use words like a 'Gold' machine/tool, wafer or standard as something you would use to match the characteristics (usually electrical) of another by precisely tuning parameters that are checked for calibration with traceable standards. There is usually not an absolute single value of something this gold standard has other than the fact it works for the reputability/quality of a process.

http://www.appliedmaterials.com/nan...3/improving-yield-with-fleet-chamber-matching
Ideally, the matching process would extend to every available dimension, from configuration through process setup and execution, and yield analysis, as shown in figure 1. The first step in the matching process is to perform a hardware and software audit. In many cases a “golden tool” is identified as part of a collaborative effort between the customer and Applied experts. Baselines for the hardware and software parameters are established using Applied’s tool- and process expertise. For example, we can help determine what parameters are important to the matching process and what level of matching needs to be obtained.

Last edited: