what is the meaning of single supply and dual supply

xeeshan57

Joined Aug 26, 2011
my question is what is the meaning of single supply and dual supply , mostly written in ic sheet like i read in LM324 ic which is written dual supply as well as single supply???????/

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
my question is what is the meaning of single supply and dual supply , mostly written in ic sheet like i read in LM324 ic which is written dual supply as well as single supply???????/
Try opening a new thread with your own topic as your question has nothing to do with this topic being discussed.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
A dual supply has a "+", ground and a "-". A single supply has only "+" and ground. Have a look at THIS and THIS document. Opamps are actually dual supply devices, and there are some problems that have to be overcome when used with a single supply.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Goes back to the history of op amps. They were originally used for analog computers, where you needed an output that could go plus or minus (the number was an analog voltage).

For a dual power supply think in terms of two batteries, where the batterys connect is considered ground, while the outside terminals are either plus or minus voltage.

Truth is, you don't need dual power supplies most cases. They can simplify circuitry sometimes, but you can use a resistor divider to create ½ the power supply voltage and use this as ground.

Here are some other techniques to do the same thing.

Creating a Virtual Power Supply Ground