What is the difference between SN74HC vs CD74HC series.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There isn't any difference. SN is a prefix used by Texas Instruments. CD is a prefix used by RCA (Radio Corporation of america), and yes I know they don't exist any longer. I think Harris acquired the rights to the RCA portfolio at some point.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You never know what's going to trigger a memory. Yesterday an old friend phoned me to ask about vacuum tube testers and I answered a capacitor question he asked me 7 years ago.:p He had forgotten what caused the capacitor question, and it was nothing about tube testers, but it was part of the mental inventory I want him to have so we can communicate better.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
And it can be any sensorial input also.

A couple of months ago while visiting NYC, we went to Chinatown.
From a restaurant came a very particular odor that reminded me from a visit to Taiwan in the late 80s.
I had gone there to help install some automatic testers all employing the HPIB bus.
Immediately to my mind came the rotary encoders which would set the physical addresses, the bulky connectors, the slanted hp logos, etc.

A side rant, Back then the name Hewlett-Packard meant really something. It meant the highest performance, highest quality, broadest line of test equipment available.
I picked up on a garage sale a 45 year old audio oscillator. It is not only working, but the setpoint frequency accuracy is better than 5%, 34 years after its last calibration. It still has the CAL sticker attached.

Last edited: