what is the difference between a power eng/elec eng

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
what is the difference between a power engineer and an electrical engineer? I thought a power engineer was an electrical engineer? I enjoy electric machinery, transformer design and high voltages the most but i am confused who deals with those areas. Internet sites are saying a power engineer is an operator and an electrical engineer deals with all sorts of things :confused:

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I guess so, uni courses I have looked at consist of electrical/electronic engineering combined or power engineering. What is the difference between a power engineer and an electrical engineer? Its the same job

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
Power engineer are engineers of a power plant. Its not completely electrical engineering. In layman terms only generator, switchyard, switchgears, buses and motors etc (which are drives for all fans and pumps) etc are something requiring electrical engineers. Mechanical engineers find much more work in power plants owing to m/c like pumps, fans, compressors, turbines, boilers, conveyors, gears, pulverisers, gates/vanes ,hydraulics/ pneumatics (well those two are for instrumentation engineers), dampers, gates vanes, valves etc.......
In a power plant you would find A Mechanical engineer, Electrical engineer, Control & Instrumentation engineer and a new breed "Power Engineer" (here in India) who are supposed to be jack of all trade and master of power plants (but they aren't ;) ).
- A power Engineer by Qualification.