What is the best place to buy components online?

BassNGuns

Joined Dec 9, 2013
Hi,
I hope this is the right area to ask this question. I'm new here.:)
I'm looking for a couple of MJ15024's and was wondering the best place to buy them.
I'm not sure I want to give my CC number to some place in China off Ebay.
Haven't had great luck with stuff from there. Thanks in advance!

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Paypal ensures your credit card number doesn't get to the seller.

However, after getting a batch of bricked microcontrollers on Ebay, I have avoided getting anything of the sort from them.

I had a huge ordeal, lasting several months with Mouser - they sent me the wrong item 3 times, then, in their final attempt, sent me stuff from another order I had placed (and already received) weeks prior.

I now use DigiKey with no complaints. They are priced competitively and ship very fast, in my experience.

I have yet to use Newark/Element14, but I hear decent things...

Fuse_Burner

Joined Dec 9, 2013
I've used Newark as well without issues.

The only issue I've ever had with Mouser is shipping stuff 2nd day when I only paid for ground, lol. I won't complain about that!

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Hi,
I hope this is the right area to ask this question. I'm new here.:)
I'm looking for a couple of MJ15024's and was wondering the best place to buy them.
I'm not sure I want to give my CC number to some place in China off Ebay.
Haven't had great luck with stuff from there. Thanks in advance!
I'm also looking for an online component seller. I would have used Digikey and Mouser to buy all my components together, but for the small purchases I make the P&P is to high to my location. So I always end up buying locally or on ebay, mainly from China, and from different sellers; and it's also not going too well. Apart from having to place separate orders from different sellers, and even though most send the items for free, it takes a month for the items to arrive, and at least a third of the shipments never get to you. They will refund you though without problems.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I ordered LCD displays for my MSP430 project and disc pads for my bike from two different sources on-line. That's like two or three months ago.
I think they took my money and ran.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I ordered LCD displays for my MSP430 project
I think they took my money and ran.
I would think they are available through ebay?
I joined ebay just after it started and cursed a little when the made it virtually compulsory to use Paypal, but now find it a boon if you get someone trying to rip you off, Paypal protect you.
Max.

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
I would think they are available through ebay?
I joined ebay just after it started and cursed a little when the made it virtually compulsory to use Paypal, but now find it a boon if you get someone trying to rip you off, Paypal protect you.
Max.
As a seller, I hate PayPal; I had so many problems with them I wouldn't even know where to start. But as a buyer, they are absolutely great. Furthermore, I don't think I would be buying online so much without PayPal, and I never buy from anyone that doesn't accept it unless it is a very well known company and I really need to make the purchase.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"I joined ebay just after it started and cursed a little when the made it virtually compulsory to use Paypal, but now find it a boon if you get someone trying to rip you off, Paypal protects you."

Same here, Max.:cool:

Thecomedian

Joined Oct 12, 2013
Tayda

2n3904 transistor: 0.02$

Mouser: 0.18-0.33$

Tayda

Carbon film resistors 0.01$ a piece.

PWM power supply controller 0.38$ / Mouser: 0.73$

It has all the chips, resistors, transistors, capacitors, etc, at embarrassingly low prices. It just doesnt have dev boards or industrial automation stuff, etc.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This is actually a pretty old thread. I hope you got what you needed. If you need more, check out Mouser and DigiKey, as already mentioned. They are often cheaper and more reliable than anything on eBay.

John

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
The only problem I have had with EBay sales from China and Hong Kong is counterfeit parts. Mainly Mosfets.
To my knowledge I haven't received any fake so far; though I usually buy cheap discrete components without looking at brands. However, yesterday I was trying an XR-2206 (a function generator) that I got from a Chinese seller on ebay and I'm starting to suspect that's the case. The thing just wont work above 12V, even when it's rated up to 26V. Either I'm doing something wrong, or they just send me a fake or dodgy component.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Sorry, just got back to this thread.

Years ago I bought some National Semi simple switcher LM2576 HV from China. The data sheet says they are good to 63 volts. I ran them at 48 volts and they died.

Buyer beware of China

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I have been buying from mouser for years ... My only complaint is that they seem to charge alot for shipping for small order and they charge me tax cause they have a warehouse north of me ...I was thinking about changing to Digikey... How much does Digikey for shipping for you for small orders????