what is the acronym "IF"?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by strantor, Jul 24, 2011.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    refer to this datasheet. page 53, the descriptions for:
    VREFTOP
    AVSS
    AVSUP
    ANA_IN1+
    ANA_IN-
    ANA_IN2+
    and in several locations throughout this datasheet refer to IF. What is it?
    I've scoured the datasheet and can't find a definition and google only returns "If" statements in programming languages.

thanks!

2. cjdelphi

Mar 26, 2009
    IF forward current?

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

IF stands for Intermediate Frequency.
    from page 11:

Bertus

4. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    strantor likes this.
  5. RRITESH KAKKAR

Jun 29, 2010
    Let start with some basic view:-

Two types of radio receivers were invented Tune Freq. was the first in which there was some disadvantages like quality factor,etc....
    then come IF which is called Intermediate freq. in this Receiver the received freq. is lowered by a oscillator called local Oscillator in receivers. the overall freq. is now less than received.

Why should we bother of low freq.??

B'coz low freq. can be easily handle than high freq. nowadays almost all receivers have build in local oscillator which is tuned with Gang called Variable capacitor.
    the disadvantage of Tune receivers can be over come but the DE-merit of this receivers is Image Freq. ( something like this) .......

E.G.:- FM receivers, LNB in DTH ( low noise block called Feed horn) you can see the circuit in feed horn which converts GHZ freq. to MHz ( 9750 or 5150Mhz)

Google for more Explanation.

strantor likes this.
  6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    strantor likes this.
  7. gootee

Apr 24, 2007
    Using an IF is also nice because from the IF-conversion point onward in a receiver the frequencies are always the same, and it's MUCH easier to design things for a fixed frequency that's known in advance.

8. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    TRF, or tuned radio frequency radios were probably first on the scene. The one I remember had 3 different tuning dials.
    Regenerative sets were probably next in line.
    Superheterodyne receivers were the latest developement (until IC's came along). The AC/DC "All American 5" mixed the incoming 550khz-1600khz signal with a higher frequency local oscillator. The resultant 455khz IF frequency was then amplified and processed into audio. FM receivers were the same way except their IF frequency was 10.7 mhz. Because they only had one mixer, these were called single conversion radios. My big old Hallicrafters shortwave radio was double conversion. The first IF frequency was 10.7mhz and the second IF frequency was 455khz.

My all time favorite radios were my 1A5 grid leak detector receiver made in a cigar box and a 12AT7 super-regen aircraft receiver.

9. RRITESH KAKKAR

Jun 29, 2010
    what is this....??
    I have seen up loader video/channel in you tube ....

10. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    An "All American 5" is a slang name for 5 tube (or valve) AM band superhet radio receiver that was line powered with no isolation transformer.

12BE6 mixer
    12BA6 IF amp
    12AV6 detector/1st audio
    50C5 audio output
    35W4 half wave rectifier

There were so many models of this type made by so many manufacturers they could quickly and easily be repaired because the technician had pretty much memorized the basic schematic. After doing a few hundred it begins to sink in. Kinda sorta like knowing what pins 2,3,4,6, and 7 are on an op-amp.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    RRITESH KAKKAR likes this.