What is OBD2 protocol interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziyixue

Joined Mar 25, 2014
hello all,
I know a little about obd2 , I want to know What is OBD2 protocol interface ,hope you all tell me .thank you very much.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
hello all,
I know a little about obd2 , I want to know What is OBD2 protocol interface ,hope you all tell me .thank you very much.
It is a protocol for communicating with the onboard computer system in vehicles. It can be used for diagnostic purpose. I think that all new vehicles sold are required to support the OBD-II protocol. The OBD-II specification provides for a standardized hardware interface using a 16-pin J1962 connector. The latter connector is required to be within 2 feet (0.61 m) of the steering wheel with some exemptions. This allow for applications like using a smart-phone as an onboard dashboard car computer. However it should be noted that this site TOC will not allow for any discussion about using the ODB-II protocol. Then driving it is better to keep your eyes on the road, and not some app on your phone anyway

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
If you want to condense all the interference by government in the run of things, OBD II is the absolute most useful mandate to come from Washington DC... EVER

The 85.00 I spent for my OBD II reader, was the best investment in a long, long time...

Some try and say, that this computer-controlled-everything in cars nowadays is impossible for the Saturday Shade-Tree DIY mechanic to work on ? I beg to differ...

I spent since I was 12, polishing diagnostic skills on cars ... 65 now, and OBD does a marvelous job of pointing you in the right direction... you must still employ the other skills to avoid " scattergunning " expensive parts replacement...

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Wouldn't that be nice to have on a computer? A computer that tells you why it freezes?
Then again, if the computer is so smart, why doesn't it just fix itself?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

bertus