What is meant by instruction cycle and clock cycle ?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by abhimanyu143, Jan 28, 2015.

1. abhimanyu143

Thread Starter Member

Aug 25, 2014
    hello ,
    I need some help , I am confused on some terms.
    1. The instruction time ?
    2. instruction cycle ?
    3. clock cycle ?

instruction cycle
    fetch-and-execute cycle, fetch-decode-execute cycle
    8051 runs on 12MHz

What is meant by instruction cycle and clock cycle ?
    How is the 'clock cycle' of 8051 MCU related to the 'crystal' oscillator ?

2. sevenfold4

Jan 12, 2015
    The clock cycle is the period of the clock that you're feeding the to the micro (e.g. , a clock cycle takes 1us if the oscillator's frequency is 1MHz). The instruction cycle depends on the internal structure of the microcontroller or processor you use. E.g. , for a PIC an instruction cycle takes 4 clock cycles, for an 8051 it takes 12 cycles. This is because an instruction has multiple stages, like fetch, decode, execute and writeback.

http://www.8051projects.net/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?41545.0#post_41554

This page shows how Timer values are calculated, maybe it will serve you as an example.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    abhimanyu143 likes this.
  3. abhimanyu143

Thread Starter Member

Aug 25, 2014
    I am explaining with your example.
    Example: a clock cycle takes 1us if the oscillator's frequency is 1MHz
    fetch-and-execute cycle,
    explanations: 1 us for fetch cycle and 1 us for execute cycle. that means it take 2 us
    fetch-decode-execute cycle
    explanations: it take 3 us.

4. sevenfold4

Jan 12, 2015
    Your wording is weird
    Anyways
    1 Clock period = 1/frequency of the oscillator
    1 Machine cycle = 12 oscillator periods (In case of 8051, because of the inner structure)
    1 Instruction cycle = 1-4 machine cycles (Depending on the instruction given for 8051)
    So if 1 machine cycle would calculate to 1us, then 1 instruction would take 1us (Depending on the instruction)
    I think... In the past i just did the calculations and never really had to go too deep into it.
    Correct me if i am wrong

5. abhimanyu143

Thread Starter Member

Aug 25, 2014
    actually I don't understand what do you mean, still I am confused on following terms.
    1. The instruction time ?
    2. instruction cycle ?
    3. clock cycle ?

6. sevenfold4

Jan 12, 2015
    1. I guess that would be the time it takes to run 1 cycle?
    2. Is the time to run the instructions.
    3. Is the speed of the clock depending of the crystal and structure of your mcu

7. vikasbly44

Jan 19, 2015
    The instruction cycle is the time period during which one instruction is fetched from memory and executed when a computer is given an instruction to machine language.

The clock cycle is the time between two adjacent pulses of the oscillator that sets the tempo of the computer processor.