what is line current and phase current in three phase system ???

ajosephantony

Joined Jun 8, 2015
I studied a lot about three phase system on books, star delta, in star line current equals phase current and in delta, line current is phase current divided by root 3. But if i have a clampmeter and need to measure line current and phase current of a star 3 phase system, how can i do that.... Lets say i have a fluke 325 clampmeter...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Line current = phase current?
Just clamp on any phase, this IS the actual current.
Are you getting confused with root 3 for star 1ph phase voltage?
Max.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I studied a lot about three phase system on books, star delta, in star line current equals phase current and in delta, line current is phase current divided by root 3. But if i have a clampmeter and need to measure line current and phase current of a star 3 phase system, how can i do that.... Lets say i have a fluke 325 clampmeter...
Hi,

Are you talking about a star system with a delta connected load?

ajosephantony

Joined Jun 8, 2015
Sorry my question was wrong, and i don't know how to edit my question...
The question is, in delta connected three phase system, the line and phase voltages are the same, but the line current and phase currents are different.... so how do you measure the line current and phase current... what is phase current... how do you measure that... measure current between a line and neutral or what ???

Yes... delta connected load.... lets say a transformer, with primary - star and sec - delta.... how do you measure the phase current of secondary... just measure line current and divide by root 3 gives the phase current, but wht is phase current... with respect to what...