what is kernel in operating system and what is real time operating system?

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by vead, Apr 10, 2014.

1. vead

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I have some question ?

1) how does kernel work in operating system?
    all operating system have kernel
    kernel is part of operating system
    It manage task of computer

2)what is real time operating system and general purpose operating system
    I don't know much but I think
    general purpose operating system means - operating system in computer
    real time operating system - operating system in mobile phone

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  3. Little Ghostman

Jan 1, 2014
    Google free RTOS, on that site should be loads of info, its not just mobile phones that use RTOS, alot of micro's do as well, there is also information on the ARM website. I tend to think of RTOS as a threaded system based on interrupts, but thats not a great way to describe it! Its more how I see it in my mind, be prepared for much head scratching when reading about it. Once you get the hang of it then its pretty handy fo when you have all kinds of things to get done but dont always have a set order for them.
    I better say no more as I will confuse you with my description

4. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    windows, linux are the operating system for computer
    when they expire we will renew with dvd , cd

1)can we say '' operating system is system that make with assembly or c code and this code burn into the memory of computer "

2) can we design operating system with assembler or compiler ?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  5. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Your first statement sounds more like BIOS than Operating System. The operating system is a collection of executable modules that can be stored on any type of storage device. An OS can be written in any language for which there is a compiler or cross-compiler for your target processor.

As for 2), yes, operating systems are developed using compilers.

6. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't know much but I think
    general purpose operating system means - operating system in computer
    real time operating system - operating system in mobile phone

Is it correct ?

2) what does it mean '' real time operating system for micros'' ?
    can someone explain with small example

7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    No. Operating System is software that provides access and services to application programs running on a computer system, regardless of whether it is a desktop, laptop, workstation, server or embedded microcontroller system.

Real-time as in Real-Time Operating System (RTOS) is actually an oxymoron. Computer systems cannot provide services instantaneously. There is always a delay between a request or an event and when the request or event is acted upon.

"Real-time" really refers to a time delay that is short enough that for all intents and purposes the results following a request or event appear to be instantaneous.

The task of an RTOS is to schedule requests and events fast enough so that all functions are executed in a timely manner. Note that no two tasks can be executed concurrently (except for a multi-processor system). By assigning resources to many tasks in rapid succession the computer system appears to be multi-tasking.

8. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    real time operating system-it response in fix time
    operating system - It wait for user input and then respond.

In computer, there is operating system and application program
    In mobile , there is operating system and application program

I did not understand '' operating system for microcontroller'' what is application program for microcontroller ?

9. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The distinction and separation between OS and RTOS is blurred.
    Similarly the distinction between computer, mobile and microcontroller is blurred.

I would rather discuss all OS as a whole as if they are all doing the same thing.

We could discuss the difference betweent the OS and the application.
    It doesn't matter if it is a microcontroller or a non-microcontroller.

The application program is the program written to perform a particular task which can be user oriented, i.e. interacts with the user such as in a mobile app, or machine oriented, for example, a robotics system.

The application program is written on top of the OS. The function of the OS is to provide services needed by the app, such as time, scheduling, file access, communications, GPS, USB, internet, security, screen, mouse, keyboard, touch panel, etc.

10. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    1)can we use real time operating system for computer?
    2)where does we use real time operating system?

11. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    1) Yes.
    2) Everywhere you can use a computer.

12. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Let's say the designer is arrogant and decides: THAT is the opperating system. It can make with assembly or c and this code burn into memmory.

The point is, the designer just decides: This is operating system. And put a label on the burn chip: OP S. V1.2

So then it is correct. We operate the computer by a program that makes common sense, and there for, we call it operating system.

We can make with assemler or C or punched cards or toggle switches.

13. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    real time operating system-it response in fix time
    operating system - It wait for user input and then respond.

Its good for me if anyone can explain both with real example

14. fernan82

Apr 19, 2014
    On a real time operatating system response time is deterministic. So even though the CPU is shared by multiple threads or processes it should be possible to determine exactly how much CPU time your application or task is going to get. Though in practice this is not always the case.

Desktops operating system like Windows or Linux are not real time so it's impossible to create a delay of less than 1ms and even longer delays are not guaranteed to be accurate. So for tasks that requires such deterministic delays your PC uses specialized hardware (which may be an MCU running an RTOS).

An example, suppose that you want to play an audio at a certain frequency on an RTOS it's easy just output the samples and the right frequency and use delays (the delay time would be used by a lower priority task) in between.

On Windows this is impossible so we use a specialized audio card for this task. Windows tells the audio card what the frequency should be and supplies the samples which the card plays at the right frequency. The sound card itself may use specialized hardware or a microcontroller with an RTOS for the task.

15. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    operating system that provide interface between hardware and application software
    operating system - windows Linux
    Example - we use operating system for computer
    - we use operating system for mobile

Q1) can we use operating system only for computer and mobile ?
    If not then which devices use operating system ? give me some example