what is inductance?

antennaboy

Joined Jan 31, 2008
I am not clear on what inductance means. can we simply say that it quantifies the opposition to a change in current due to a magnetic field?

thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In strictly mathematical terms it is a constant of proportionality that relates the time rate of change of current(di/dt) with a voltage drop(V).

In physical terms it is a property of conductors. Even a length of wire has inductance. Wound in a coil, the magnetic field produced by an alternating current is many times greater than the field around a straight conductor.

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
antennaboy,

I am not clear on what inductance means. can we simply say that it quantifies the opposition to a change in current due to a magnetic field?
Incomplete definition. If a change of current in a circuit magnetically induces a voltage in the same or different circuit, we have magnetic induction. Inductance is measured by the ratio of the induced voltage to the rate of change of the inducing current.

Ratch

Metalfan1185

Joined Sep 12, 2008
A Sudden Voltage drop on a coil causes the magnetic field to collapse and, like a transformer, make a high voltage spike on one end of the coil. If you ever connected a solenoid to a power supply and then disconnected one wire by hand, then you know what im talking about.

I have always played with electronics by hand, so there may be lots of little technical math bits and pieces that i dont know (yet, but im workin on it) but i have plenty of practical hands on expierience...i also have plenty of burnt out components and have had my share of shock treatment.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Strictly speaking, inductance is the ratio of flux linkage to current. Using the quantity in electronic circuits, we can say the voltage drop across the inductance is the proportional to inductance multiplied by the time-rate of change of current.

V = L di/dt

Steve