what is fork

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ep.hobbyiest, Aug 8, 2015.

1. ep.hobbyiest

Thread Starter Member

Aug 26, 2014
    hi
    what does mean by fork?
    i read many times in terms of coding and also in gernal discussion.
    latest i read the sentense as "fork me on github"

i know this is silly question but i didn't understand the meaning of this.

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    A fork is a separate development branch for a software codebase. For example Sun Microsystems developed an Office Application suite called Open Office. The Oracle corporation bought Sun Microsystems and took over Open Office. Many people did not believe that Oracle would continue to support Open Office so the forked the codebase and started LibreOffice which is now at Version 5. Opeen Office 3.0 or 3.1 was the last version produced by Sun Microsystems.

In multi-process systems a fork is also a separate parallel execution thread which may or may not rejoin the parent process.

Brownout likes this.
  3. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    a fork is also a device to manipulate gardens, as to air the soil

fork also used as a reference by native Indians back in the USA eg: 'white man speak with forked tongue'

can also be used in a conversation, 2 men at a bar having a drink when one says to the other 'was with that girl on the other side of the bar last night, she's a great fork'

/me runs and hides :)

4. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    This is where Google translate doesn't help at all.

"she's a great fork" was translated to "she is a great dinning table" in Chinese.:)

Allen

5. Nykolas

Aug 27, 2013
    In Alberta, Canada, FORK stood for "Friends Of Ralph Klein", the great former premier of that province.
    This for FYI only and not the answer you were looking for! E