What is Facebook About?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
The possibility that it is worth $20m is that fact that it is a huge Database full of interesting information; those who collect it and those who use it.

If you have that many people willing to share their most intimate details of their lives; that information is critical in so many ways. Most likely the investors are the people who collect the data that comes from it and or use it to reach the individuals on it with advertising. It won't be going away as long as the investment continues to grow with the numbers of people joining; the only reason I think it would tank is if the economy tanks and those investment dollars dry up.

kv

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Targeted advertising is now down to the individual's demographics, thanks to the data mining of google and facebook.

Does anyone really know the cost of free software or free web presence?

After all it spurned a new business ... Malware and antimaleware. Both sides are making money .....

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Not a big user of it myself and my teenage kids don't touch it because it is "too old". But there are a lot of groups, clubs and societies that use it for organizing meetings, attracting members and the like and if the price of that is seeing some adverts then so what? You can't do very much (and never could since about 1850) without seeing an advert anyway.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
I know someone in the debt collection business and they now have an excellent way of tracking those that have 'Disappeared':rolleyes:
Max.
and just a quick way of any federal agency catching up to you

cia are loving it, current pictures, where they've been and what they planning to do

and for all those that THINK they have deleted their account totally, use its counterpart to catch up - google.

edit: typo

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Facebook is just like Google - it offers an online portal for information that draws eyeballs, and in return gets paid to push advertising to those eyeballs. Advertising is what ultimately drives most internet traffic, just like television, radio and print.

If you can attract the eyeballs, you too can be rich.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
That's the point of the market. If you think prices are high, sell.
If you already sold and you think they are still high, don't buy but keep your cash ready to buy when prices drop.
In any case, there is no reason to complain - just take action (or plan your action.)
On the subject, here's something about the stock market:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-stock-market-is-overvalued-any-way-you-look-at-it-2015-01-13

I notice the Dow Jones is getting a bit squeemish lately and investors are moving their $$$ into more secure places.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
While I was in line at the supermarket checkout, I overheard a couple of guys talking about another guy who lost $$$ big time in a tech start up in San Francisco.

So I pricked up my ears and they were saying something about the guy originally had about $ 1 Million in assets, but he was now flat broke and living out of his car.

The stock market is also showing cracks and the Dow Jones has been pretty stagnant and a bubble's getting ready to burst.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
There is a persistent rumor that some of the initial financing of Facebook came through a U.S. Central Intelligence Agency front organization. True or not, it makes perfect sense to me.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
There is a persistent rumor that some of the initial financing of Facebook came through a U.S. Central Intelligence Agency front organization. True or not, it makes perfect sense to me.
I can tell you that the booming economy in the San Francisco area is being flooded -and I mean flooded- with government money from various sources.

So it's not all that far fetched that Facebook may have been partially funded by a government agency -particularly the CIA- or some other surveillance arm of the government. They see social media as a treasure trove for "Chatter" between criminal enterprises.

Edward Snowden's revelations about the government's collection of the "Meta Data" from general public is a prime example of how the government has enlisted various contractors for nefarious purposes. Snowden's employer -and perpetrator of the warrantless surveillance- was Booz Allen & Hamilton which is well known for it's chronic relationship with the military industrial complex.

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Back in the day, we always thought that ma bell was owned by the cia. It was always in jest, but I am beginning to wonder now.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I use facebook to keep in contact with close family and friends whom I do not get to see very often. Sure, you can use email (and I occasionally still do) but it tends to be slower and it's hard to keep up with multiple people at once. I firmly disagree with using facebook to gain a following, or to write down every little thing you're doing ("Just brought the kids to school", "Just got back from the bathroom", "Sitting down to dinner", "Eating a peach". This isn't an exaggeration, I know someone who used to make posts like that all the time!). I use facebook as a tool to communicate with coworkers, discuss ideas, and collaborate on projects, as well as keep in touch with members of my family who live on the other side of the country. I don't like the idea of facebook as a toy, to waste time, to play games, to post pathetic "selfies" with weird faces.

I believe Facebook has its place, but people often put it where it doesn't belong (at their job, at the dinner table, etc). It is overused and is often the first place to pick up gossip about family, friends, or celebrities. I avoid this by blocking certain information, disabling gaming/app platforms, not "friending" people I'm not close to, and so on. If Facebook is properly used it can be a great tool. Unfortunately its "proper use" has become very uncommon.

All of Facebook's profits come from advertising. The amount of ads on Facebook is appalling. That's why I have two ad-blockers installed: Standard Adblock for Chrome, and Facebook Adblock to pick up the stragglers.