What is Energy?

easycheez

Joined Sep 19, 2010
Hi all, been lurking this site for a few months and it have proven to be quite useful with finding electronics homework help and general electronics links, suppliers, etc. Thank you!

I have a physics question, though, that has been weighing heavy on my mind that is beyond my level of understanding.

Question: Since everything is a form of Energy, and Energy cannot be created nor destroyed (only changed in form); then how is there Energy?

Thank you, to anyone that cares to respond.

(ps How do you add a quote to the bottom of the posts?)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Last question first, [] are used instead of {}, the commands are part of VBulletin LaTeX. {quote}{/quote} allows you to quote a phrase. There is also a software button labeled "quote" you can use. Other commands deal with showing images in the post, or linking to another web address such as hypertexting. Their formats are...

{img}web address of picture{/img}
{url}web address{/url}
{url=web address}word[/url]

No one quite knows what caused the big bang, or even if there was one (there are other theories). You can move matter around though, and you can move energy around, but a core law is energy and matter can not be created or destroyed. Since matter and energy are the same thing (matter is concentrated energy) it is consistent.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
I've read Brian Greene's book "The Fabric of the Cosmos" I recommend it highly, based on what physics knows right now the effective mass of the singularity that exploded was only a handful of kilograms, what exploded was space, in the very early moments the fundamental laws of physics that we know now simply didn't exist, they're still trying to figure out what that intial state actually was and why it changed. There are some theories that hint that it was the collison of membranes of higher dimensional space, but that's way out there kind of stuff and the math is way over my head.

In my personal opinion whatever it was that banged was already there; I personally lean towards a steady state fundamental universe and that our universe is only an infinitesimal spec of it, whenever I think about it the image of boiling water comes to mind, we're just one bubble. In case you can't tell I have a bit of a metaphysical slant on life =)

sachin.tiger

Joined Sep 24, 2010
till now only one principle or theory, whatever u may call it the saggitarius is able to solve this head breakin problem .
it says that,everything that we see around us is a form of energy and that it keeps changing from one form to another( of which mass, em waves, radiation energy ,gravitartionenergy etc are a part) and that it has existed since TIME has existed. hence the toal energy of the universe is a constant and it will not change and this is the princilple of conservation of energy.
one new hypothetical (till now) theoryTHE STRING THEORY talks about the membranes and the existence of more than 1 universe but we cant talk of it now as it is still developing. till that comes into play, the SAGGITARIUS rules.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
String Theory gives some physicists headaches. It may indeed be true (or not), but one of the complaints given is there is no way to test it. Over time this might change, but it give them something to argue about.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Bill that's because string theory was actually developed in parallel from different perspectives by a lot of people, their still hammering out 'one' string theory that everyone is happy with, it'll happen. There are already people suggesting methods that can test some aspects of string theory and as the math and science progress that understanding will improve, unless of course the LHC creates a black hole that gobbles up Earth ;)

http://www.universetoday.com/12615/method-to-test-string-theory-proposed/
That's the first one I found looking on Google, there are or will be more.

Ghar

Joined Mar 8, 2010
Last question first, [] are used instead of {}, the commands are part of VBulletin LaTeX. {quote}{/quote} allows you to quote a phrase. There is also a software button labeled "quote" you can use. Other commands deal with showing images in the post, or linking to another web address such as hypertexting. Their formats are...

{img}web address of picture{/img}
{url}web address{/url}
{url=web address}word[/url]
Not that it matters but the
, etc. is BBCode, a simplified kind ...s much less common (and a lot more powerful).

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
easycheez I see a bunch of replies but no real answers here. I honestly don't think anyone can answer this but God. Energy seems to include animation in that it is not just a particle, but a particle that vibrates. And what gives rise to the vibration? The electron affinity between atoms, maybe? But what gave rise to that? Differing charges? Then what gave rise to differing charges? And on and on we go. In the end, I think we come to a Creator that planned out this whole universe.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I wonder if the OP has returned to look at the answers?

All too often we see a question posted, but never seem to hear from the OP again, just from a bunch of 'old faithfuls' talking amongst themselves.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ PRS,vibrations sound like a earth xal.
Thats natural for vibrations and reaction
for energy.That what they use to monitor
your car engine,If you lose a oil pan plug.

easycheez

Joined Sep 19, 2010
Sorry, I got caught up with homework. Differential Op Amps equations with transistors is proving to be a rough time for me.

easycheez

Joined Sep 19, 2010
No one quite knows what caused the big bang, or even if there was one (there are other theories). You can move matter around though, and you can move energy around, but a core law is energy and matter can not be created or destroyed. Since matter and energy are the same thing (matter is concentrated energy) it is consistent.
Thank you for explaining how to use the quote tags. Now how do you add that thing along with each post? I've seen a lot of posters that have a favorite saying or whatnot along with each response at the bottom.

I get that matter and energy or the same thing. But with the Big Bang theory, it implies there is something that 'began' this verse. (I'm going start saying 'verse' instead of 'universe' since some of the other theories mention multiverses). That still leaves the question answered, of course. As far as I can understand it, that would get into an infinite regression of verses. This one less energy than the one that started it, etc, etc.

easycheez

Joined Sep 19, 2010
I've read Brian Greene's book "The Fabric of the Cosmos" I recommend it highly, based on what physics knows right now the effective mass of the singularity that exploded was only a handful of kilograms, what exploded was space, in the very early moments the fundamental laws of physics that we know now simply didn't exist, they're still trying to figure out what that intial state actually was and why it changed. There are some theories that hint that it was the collison of membranes of higher dimensional space, but that's way out there kind of stuff and the math is way over my head.

In my personal opinion whatever it was that banged was already there; I personally lean towards a steady state fundamental universe and that our universe is only an infinitesimal spec of it, whenever I think about it the image of boiling water comes to mind, we're just one bubble. In case you can't tell I have a bit of a metaphysical slant on life =)
Thanks for the recommended reading, sceadwian. The thing that caught my attention from your post is "why did it change?" We know that, at least according to the Classical Newtonian laws, that nothing will change (ie move, go from a potential state to a kinetic state) without an outside *something* doing it. And for a *something* to exist, that must have a kinetic energy done to it. And then that just pushes the question further and further back.

Last thing I read about other dimensions it said there was maybe 11? And if all those (maybe more) are interacting together, then how did those (assuming dimensions can be described as energy.. but once you have *something* it has potential energy that can interact with other *somethings* and that potential energy must have a rate of change to be kinetic, right?) come about?

easycheez

Joined Sep 19, 2010
till now only one principle or theory, whatever u may call it the saggitarius is able to solve this head breakin problem .
it says that,everything that we see around us is a form of energy and that it keeps changing from one form to another( of which mass, em waves, radiation energy ,gravitartionenergy etc are a part) and that it has existed since TIME has existed. hence the toal energy of the universe is a constant and it will not change and this is the princilple of conservation of energy.
one new hypothetical (till now) theoryTHE STRING THEORY talks about the membranes and the existence of more than 1 universe but we cant talk of it now as it is still developing. till that comes into play, the SAGGITARIUS rules.

The multi-verse theory just pushes the question further and further back and answers nothing. Not that it may not be correct, but...

easycheez

Joined Sep 19, 2010
String Theory gives some physicists headaches. It may indeed be true (or not), but one of the complaints given is there is no way to test it. Over time this might change, but it give them something to argue about.
Agreed. So far, there is not a way to test this theory under scientific methods. It could just be pie-in-the-sky daydreaming until evidence either confirms or denies (or at least plausible).

easycheez

Joined Sep 19, 2010
easycheez I see a bunch of replies but no real answers here. I honestly don't think anyone can answer this but God. Energy seems to include animation in that it is not just a particle, but a particle that vibrates. And what gives rise to the vibration? The electron affinity between atoms, maybe? But what gave rise to that? Differing charges? Then what gave rise to differing charges? And on and on we go. In the end, I think we come to a Creator that planned out this whole universe.
PRS, I am a believer, too. However a lot of answers that were attributed to God have been found by explaining the "how" (which is science). How did He do it? :) If He doesn't exist, then how did it come about naturally? Motion, kinetic energy... how does something move without an outside influence?

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
And for a *something* to exist, that must have a kinetic energy done to it. And then that just pushes the question further and further back
Goes back to my personal opinion on the nature of the everyverse, no one universe together make any sense alone, the interacts are going to be milenia or never in understanding. The entire every-verse when looked at altogether is however a closed system, things move around there is never a loss of energy into an outside system because there isn't one to lose the energy to.

The big bang for our known perceptual existence does no rule out a steady state universe.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thank you for explaining how to use the quote tags. Now how do you add that thing along with each post? I've seen a lot of posters that have a favorite saying or whatnot along with each response at the bottom.

I get that matter and energy or the same thing. But with the Big Bang theory, it implies there is something that 'began' this verse. (I'm going start saying 'verse' instead of 'universe' since some of the other theories mention multiverses). That still leaves the question answered, of course. As far as I can understand it, that would get into an infinite regression of verses. This one less energy than the one that started it, etc, etc.
Go to your Control Panel in your user profile, it is one of many options buried within. It is called a signature.

logicman112

Joined Dec 27, 2008
This law which you wrote:
"energy can not be created or destroyed ....." is a physical rule and a fact. But you can imagine some idealized objects like GOD with whom another rules govern and he can create energy from nothing.
Accepting the existence of this object in mind, releases the mind from an unanswered question.
Though in my opinion this existence and power can not be verified by us because it contradicts our facts but it can exist in our mind.