what is (Emitter-Base Voltage)?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mostafa_gordy, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mostafa_gordy

Thread Starter Member

Feb 28, 2012
    what is VEBO (Emitter-Base Voltage) ?(in BJT)
    what is VBR EBO ( Emitter-Base breakdown Voltage)?

2. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    VBEO is the voltage between the base and the emitter when forward biased, with the collector disconnected.

It will be specified at a certain base current. Normally around 0.65V for most silicon transistors.

VBREBO is the reverse breakdown voltage of the base-emitter junction with the collector disconnected. It will be specified at a certain value of reverse current. Often in the region of 6V for small silicon transistors.

3. mostafa_gordy

Thread Starter Member

Feb 28, 2012
    OK JDT....
    if more voltage of reverse breakdown voltage of the base-emitter junction is pass of base - emitter junction .... power Transistor is damaged.....? (bux15)

BUX15 NPN 8A Vce =500V P=150w Hfe=15-60 (5 at 8A)

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Believe it or not, no, not at all. Think of it as similar to a zener diode: you normally operate those beyond breakdown but as long as the current is constrained it is fine.

Way back when state of the art switching supplies used transistors it was not uncommon to whack the B-E junction past breakdown to pull current out and get them to turn off a bit faster.

5. ramancini8

Jul 18, 2012
    It has since been shown that reverse breakdown of the B-E junction, even if current limited, causes long time beta degradation.

6. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    I have heard the same thing. A little Googling disclosed that Bob Widlar claimed that it will not damage high-current beta, such as that of a series-pass transistor in a regulator. I would like to see hard documentation on that before I believe it.