What is effective mass?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by i_nour, Sep 19, 2016.

1. i_nour

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 9, 2015
    What is effective mass and what is the difference between effective mass and vacuum mass?
  2. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006
    I've never heard of vacuum mass. I have heard of rest mass, and that is the mass of an object at rest. As you increase the velocity of an object it's mass will increase. Very slowly at first, but as the velocity approaches the speed of light, the mass of an object will diverge to infinity. The more massive the object becomes the harder it is to accelerate the object, so I'm not holding my breath for any real object reaching Warp I. Sub atomic particles can get pretty close to the speed of light and their effective mass depends on their velocity. Read the following article on the Lorentz transformation.

3. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Effective mass is apparent mass. It's what you measure as mass, of a particle or object. This is the mass term you would use as weight or momentum.

Vacuum mass is the theoretical mass of a volume of space. This a a false concept. This is an attempt to relate cosmic mass to cosmic energy. Or total mass to total energy. The trouble is that the total energy can not be related to total mass.

Mass is not stuff. Mass is charge angular momentum. Take two interlocking rings. Put one in the horizontal plane and call the ring E. Take the other ring and place it in the vertical position, with it's arc, perpendicular and centered in the E ring. We will call the second vertical ring M. So the E ring rotates thru the origin or the M ring, and the M ring rotates thru the origin of the E ring. Both rings rotate at c. This means the as the M ring is rotating around itself....it is also rotating around the E ring. In other words....as M ring turns 1/4 turn around itself.....it moves 1/4 turn around the E ring.
    These two perpendicular rotations causes the property of inertia. That's mass. The E ring is the electric field rotation and the M ring is the magnetic field rotation. All particles come with a standard E amount, and can not be added to. But we can add M rings. The number of M rings.......is mass. Electrons only have a few M rings. Protons have hundreds of M rings.

Emission......is when one of the M rings is cut and discarded from the ring. Some of emission is always lost.
  4. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006
    Your post is quite simply wrong and misleading. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain -- he has no clothes.
    GopherT and DGElder like this.
  5. DGElder

Apr 3, 2016
    Using an Effective mass instead of actual mass (vacuum mass) is a means of simplifying the math to predict the behavior of a mass under some specified conditions. Where some external influence on a mass makes that mass act as if it were more or less massive than it would be without said influence, then we can just assume the mass is heavier or lighter, ignore the external influence, and apply the math accordingly. For a more precise and useful definition you will need to study the physics of the context in which it is used.