What is debounce?

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
I know I'm setting myself up for a wide variety of replies to this question?
But...could someone define "debounce"....
thanks
D.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It's when all the air goes out of the basketball. Just kidding...

When a mechanical switch is used as a data input, the contacts "bounce" upon contacting and un-contacting. This can cause havoc in digital systems. So either a network is used to insure only one of the bounces is sensed by the logic, or a software process is used to capture the correct logical level and ignore the bounces.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
When a mechanical switch closes or opens, the contacts vibrate and open/close dozens of times in reality. Debounce means some way to electronically filter out the bounce to make a circuit function correctly.

More details to follow by other members, usually capacitor filters or software delays.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Tubeguy's link has an additional link to ONSemiconductor DATASHEET (MC14490) that describes debounce as: "the elimination of extraneous level changes that result when interfacing with mechanical contacts."

unfortunately, that is how they describe the chip's funnction - without ever saying the word, "debounce". I would never have thought of looking for a "bounce eliminator circuit". No wonder I have never heard of the chip nor seen it used in a circuit. Nobody knows it exists.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Here are some results when I searching on google for debouncing.
Almost of time that I am using "debounce circuit" to search.

debounce - 398000 results.
debouncing - 145000 results.
debounce circuit - 165000 results.
debouncing circuit - 70200 results.
switch debounce - 193000 results.
switch debouncing - 78200 results.
bounce eliminator circuit - 673000 results.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Interestingly, if you use "" to search exactly, "bounce eliminator circuit" you only get 51 results and a message...

"In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 51 already displayed."