What is broke here ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Catalin Ene, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Catalin Ene

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Hi there, i have an electronic ciggarete and i charged with a 2.0A charger, (broken one i did'n know that)
    He burn something in my board circuits because my led is not going red when i pun on chargin. Take a look
    I just glue back my wires and the battery is working but i don't know what is broken here. Take a look in the picture, thanks !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Can't see your pics.

3. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Most E-cigarettes use lithium batteries - which are pretty dangerous if you don't charge them exactly as specified - they can vent with flaming gas and set fire to their surroundings!

If your skill level is such that you glue wires back on instead of soldering them - I seriously advise you not to put yourself, family and possibly neigbours in any further danger, stop messing with it and buy a working replacement.

4. Catalin Ene

Jul 10, 2015
    Hi, i just "soldering them" and now is working, i'm not an expert but i can handle this, i can replace different circuits parts, but i need to know what is not working.

5. Catalin Ene

Jul 10, 2015
    Here the pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Catalin Ene

Jul 10, 2015
    Battery is chargeing but no more LED notification !

7. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    Where is the LED located and which wire is leading to LED?

8. Catalin Ene

Jul 10, 2015
    LED is that big white block from the right.

9. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    under it, that would only be a refractor

10. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Do you have a multimeter? You can get one very inexpensively (<$5 or even free at Harbor Freight) and you will find it useful for many other chores.

Those broken wires need to be re-soldered to the printed circuit board (PCB) but from here it is not obvious which wire goes where.

Oh wait, I just read your later posts, that you have already re-soldered those wires?

You may need to get to the backside of that PCB, or at least get under that diffuser (refractor) to see the LED underneath. You MIGHT be able to see the leads for the LED under the plastic, and probe them with a multimeter to see if there is voltage. In that case, it's simply a burned-out LED.