What is Billboarding?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Amenably_Amendable, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Amenably_Amendable

Thread Starter Member

Jan 21, 2008
    It seems to be some sort of PCBA Defect. Thanks.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    You might want to be more clear. These are the definitions I found for PCBA - AcronymDefinitionPCBAPacific Coast Baptist AssociationPCBAPeoria County Bar Association (Peoria, IL)PCBAPhysically Challenged Bowhunters of AmericaPCBAPolk County Builders Association (Florida)PCBAPortable Clinical Blood AnalyzerPCBAPorter County Builders Association (Indiana)PCBAPrinted Circuit Board AssemblyPCBAPrivacy Certification for Business AssociatesPCBAProsen Center for Business Advancement (University of Dallas, Texas)PCBA

Punjab College of Business Administration (Pakistan)

Is billboarding similar to this link? - http://www.flipcode.com/archives/Billboarding-Excerpt_From_iReal-Time_Renderingi_2E.shtml

3. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I'm guessing that PCBA means Printed Circuit Board Assembly. The term "billboarding" is used to describe the condition of a passive surface mount component that has reoriented itself during the re-flow soldering process such that it is connected on both ends electrically but standing up on its narrow edge. It is so called because it looks like a tiny billboard. This term is similar to the term "tombstoning". With tombsonting, the passive component is lifted up on one end and appears like a tiny tombstone.

hgmjr

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Billboarding: A discrete component with both terminations soldered, but laying on its edge.

Billboarding is caused by having pad size "side" dimension that is too robust.

It is normally caused by wave solder hitting both ends of the pad and dumping a large volume of solder on both pads causing the chip to flip up.

It can also happen on oven-soldered boards if the pick & place machine has dirty pickups.

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Thanks, I learned something. Google has its limits.

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Here's a good write-up of a goodly number of PCB "sins" that techs/QC has to look out for:
    http://www.asset-intertech.com/connect/2006Q4/where_bs_fits.htm

Note that "billboarding" is similar to "tombstoning", except that the circuit can still function if the component is "billboarded". It still isn't right, though. The component will be physically weaker in it's attachment.

7. Amenably_Amendable

Thread Starter Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Thanks, there wasn't much info out there on this. And, beenthere.. why were u making a joke out of my question? Well, good one? Although... it was kinda obvious what I meant.. especially for someone who has posted almost 4,000 times on this site.

:cool:

8. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Not at all - I didn't catch the acronym, and those were the things Google returned when I searched. I got out of industry back when all components were through hole. I learned as much or more than you did.

9. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    Leave him alone, it wasn't exactly an obvious question. If anyone is at fault, it is you for not posting a clear question.

Steve

10. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    That's ok, scubasteve, nobody has hurt feelings.

11. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    im hurt, you've seen the board :(

12. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Whining becomes no one. :rolleyes:

;)

13. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    Meh, I was merely excusing my behaviour.. I hate when people get offended that someone misinterprets their ambiguous question and makes it a point. ~4000 posts means that he has helped/made fun of a lot of people :p

Steve