What is Billboarding?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You might want to be more clear. These are the definitions I found for PCBA - AcronymDefinitionPCBAPacific Coast Baptist AssociationPCBAPeoria County Bar Association (Peoria, IL)PCBAPhysically Challenged Bowhunters of AmericaPCBAPolk County Builders Association (Florida)PCBAPortable Clinical Blood AnalyzerPCBAPorter County Builders Association (Indiana)PCBAPrinted Circuit Board AssemblyPCBAPrivacy Certification for Business AssociatesPCBAProsen Center for Business Advancement (University of Dallas, Texas)PCBA

Punjab College of Business Administration (Pakistan)

Is billboarding similar to this link? - http://www.flipcode.com/archives/Billboarding-Excerpt_From_iReal-Time_Renderingi_2E.shtml

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I'm guessing that PCBA means Printed Circuit Board Assembly. The term "billboarding" is used to describe the condition of a passive surface mount component that has reoriented itself during the re-flow soldering process such that it is connected on both ends electrically but standing up on its narrow edge. It is so called because it looks like a tiny billboard. This term is similar to the term "tombstoning". With tombsonting, the passive component is lifted up on one end and appears like a tiny tombstone.

hgmjr

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Billboarding: A discrete component with both terminations soldered, but laying on its edge.

Billboarding is caused by having pad size "side" dimension that is too robust.

It is normally caused by wave solder hitting both ends of the pad and dumping a large volume of solder on both pads causing the chip to flip up.

It can also happen on oven-soldered boards if the pick & place machine has dirty pickups.

Amenably_Amendable

Joined Jan 21, 2008
Thanks, there wasn't much info out there on this. And, beenthere.. why were u making a joke out of my question? Well, good one? Although... it was kinda obvious what I meant.. especially for someone who has posted almost 4,000 times on this site.

:cool:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Not at all - I didn't catch the acronym, and those were the things Google returned when I searched. I got out of industry back when all components were through hole. I learned as much or more than you did.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Thanks, there wasn't much info out there on this. And, beenthere.. why were u making a joke out of my question? Well, good one? Although... it was kinda obvious what I meant.. especially for someone who has posted almost 4,000 times on this site.

:cool:
Leave him alone, it wasn't exactly an obvious question. If anyone is at fault, it is you for not posting a clear question.

Steve

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Meh, I was merely excusing my behaviour.. I hate when people get offended that someone misinterprets their ambiguous question and makes it a point. ~4000 posts means that he has helped/made fun of a lot of people :p

Steve