What is acceptable voltage fluctuation for 208/230v circuit ?

Gerald Tague

Joined Feb 18, 2015
We have a dedicated outlet for a copier. The copier has been malfunctioning. The service company claims that fluctuations in the supply voltage are the caue of the copier problemss, not their equipment. I'm guessing some level of fluctuation is to be expected ??? Does anyone know of any standards for fluctuation ?
Thank you

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
We have a dedicated outlet for a copier. The copier has been malfunctioning. The service company claims that fluctuations in the supply voltage are the caue of the copier problemss, not their equipment. Does anyone know of any standards for fluctuation ?
Thank you
They should be able to supply you with their expectations for what tolerance the equipment requires, being as they produced it?
Industrial machinery, including imported usually has a tolerance of ±10% here.
Max.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
have an electrician check your outlet. I would bet money you have a loose connection on the outlet wiring, OR the outlet is part of a circuit already more than half loaded down with other equipment. voltage 'sags' when excessive current is drawn or a loose connection adds extra resistance and normal current is drawn

Joined Nov 30, 2010
They should be able to supply you with their expectations for what tolerance the equipment requires, being as they produced it?
The expectations of the copier should be on the label. So much for, "should". :D

When I phoned the local electric company, the idiot on the phone refused to tell me the standard unless I told her the clothes dryer kept burning out heaters. Then she sent a repairman who told me the standards. :rolleyes:
240V RMS +/- 5%

Gerald Tague

Joined Feb 18, 2015
Thank you all for the input. We are in USA. The copier vendor provided a report that claims to have recorded the voltage at 180 on 20 separate occaisons. Assuming the 5% or even 10% rule, and that tehir recordings were real, I guess we may have a problem and have to test the circuit further. It's labelled as dedicated, but maybe other devices have been added that we're not aware of.
This was my first viist to this forum...I'm grateful for the assistance & professionalism.
Regards !

Joined Nov 30, 2010
More likely a crappy connection. Some installers use the, "stab in" connectors when the screw connectors are ever so much more reliable. If you have aluminum wiring, all bets are off.