What Is A Good Universal Project FET? TO-220 Package...

NFA Fabrication

Joined Aug 12, 2012
I am adding to my general supplies and making different projects in my quest for electronic knowledge. I have tons of the basics, 2N2222's, 2N2907's, 555's, LM339's, etc. etc...

I would like to start toying with FET's, but trying to find something that can be used widely (Kind of like the 2N2222 is used in the transistor world). I would prefer something in a TO-220 package. Any good recommendations?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
For a general purpose device, look for those with logic level input. That allows you to fully turn them on with a 5V signal. Standard MOSFETs require 10V Vbe to fully turn on. The logic level devices will generally also work in any application where a standard MOSFET would otherwise be used.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
<snip>Standard MOSFETs require 10V Vbe to fully turn on. <snip>
Crutschow meant to say:
Standard MOSFETs require 10V Vgs (voltage on the gate terminal referenced to the source terminal) in order to fully turn on.
...as standard MOSFETs don't have bases nor emitters.

Jaguarjoe wrote:
Logic level FET's are generally labeled IRLxxx
International Rectifier's logic level MOSFETs generally start with IRLxxx. Other companies also make logic level MOSFETs, however they use different part number conventions. You're best off to use a parametric search engine to find what you're looking for.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Crutschow meant to say:
Standard MOSFETs require 10V Vgs (voltage on the gate terminal referenced to the source terminal) in order to fully turn on.
...as standard MOSFETs don't have bases nor emitters.

Thanks for catching that possible bit of confusion. My brain was thinking MOSFET Vgs but that got crossed something in the translation to the keyboard. :p