What happened to the beep beep?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Jan 17, 2011.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    In the U.S. (at least) automobiles would emit a friendly and subtle beep beep when unlocking the doors with the remote. Now it has switched to an annoying honking of the horn. Not a big deal really just really annoying early in the morning when you are waking and your early riser neighbor is off to work?

What happened? Is it an Americans with Disablities Act thing? Some people couldn't hear the beep?

2. VoodooMojo

Nov 28, 2009
    I hear you about the horn, but it is the DuraMax and Power Stroke Diesels that people start up early in the morning and let them clatter for an hour before taking off...

3. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Nah the beep beepers wear out. So the new ones tie into the horn. Mine you can't even hear anymore. Just clicking.

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Most of the "Chrip Chirp" keyless entry systems were aftermarket. Factory keyless entry and alarm systems often use the horn, for the last 8 years anyway. This is for Domestics, not sure about imports, their horns are a "chrip" anyway. :D

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The big thing at a rural Walmart is to strut slowly away from your F-350 dually and press the door lock fob for that big honk when you're 50 feet away. I'm waiting for someone to offer an aftermarket package to let the truck play four bars of Dixie or a Merle Haggard number.

6. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Bad idea, Someone with a sniffer just may drive off in a brand new F-350 dually. I'd try to deactivate the alarm set lights and beeps. HiTech scammers just love that. For a couple years you could unlock their cars and even start em with the irda port on your cell. They even published each of the car's codes before they caught on.

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Some walmarts encourage over nite parking for
    business reasons,a lot noise.

8. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    My aftermarket remote does not have the lights or horn hooked up just for that reason.

9. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Yah I just like the doors to lock then I know its on with out everyone else knowing.

10. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Is the rolling code really that easy to break? Isn't the door code different than the key code?

John

11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I keep seeing news stories from tech sites that it is. I have no idea how accurate they are.

12. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
  13. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    They've posted several links at my works news letter. I keep seeing on several sites. When I get a chance I'll post some of them.

One of the common themes is the car accessing the internet. While I suppose some top of the price chain cars can I don't see that as being a common feature for autos any time soon. It isn't something I would pay for.

The articles I referred are not emails, these are news stories by various research labs. While I use snoops, as with all things internet they can be wrong.

14. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Makes sense to me. Car company researchers are no slouches and the encryption technology today is more potent than ever.

15. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    It was only like 2 years they made cars that could be unlocked by the irda ports. Then by 2007 or 8 they caught on.

http://www.modaco.com/content/smart...172/using-ir-to-open-my-car-door/#entry657629

Theres lots of em. I used to be all into hacking phones and have seen it many times.You would just push out a code like 60043 for a Buick Skylark and that would open the doors. You can search it out because theres just too much info on it. Now its not ass easy but there was a couple year period where they made a major goof on the security. Also I beielve if was 90% factory installed alarms. 3rd party alarms used a different fequency.

If you had the codes you can do the same things with coke machines. If you texed the machine "quarters" it woud spit out quarters, if you texted it water it would dispense a water.

16. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    But you said they could steal a new Ford350 using a sniffer. So what does some old Buick or using IR have to do with that?

John

17. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    They could steel my old car with a wire hanger, but who would want it?

I think it odd how the media keeps hyping all the features new cars have to have. If it runs and has a decent radio I'm happy. How many folks on this site have On Star for example.

18. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Yes with proper equipment anything can be stolen, I refering to not even using a sniffer but just having the codes to all th cars programmed into your phone. Then you stumble onto a certain make and model and you can open it right up. To actually get past a new 3rd party alarm it wouldn't be hard but you would just need all the right equipment. My buddy writes software for one of the major alarm manufacturers and I'll ask him. They get the boards already made and they have to debug them and write the code.

Remember cell phones couldn't be hacked, Sattalites couldn't be hacked, Cable couldnt' be hacked, at one point they claim everything is unhackable. Until that is someone actually tries.

19. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Nice explanation, if true, but unrelated to your original comment as quoted above in post#16.

I'm losing sleep worrying about someone steeling my 2010 F350 with duallies. Can you address one issue at a time? We can get back to the IRDA matter later.

John

20. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I honestly don't know what your wanting me to explain. More so who said anything about a 2010 F-350 dually?