What glue for coiling voice coils?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Send R!f@@ a PM asking him to look at this thread.

Do NOT ask him the question in the PM, it will likely be ignored, only include the link to this thread. I can not speak for him, but the odds on replying go up.

PM is not meant to answer technical questions, it is to communicate that which should not be posted publically, such as email or home addresses.

crazymaster

Joined May 20, 2010
Bill_Marsden
i have tried to contact R!f@@, but without success

I think that the voice coil boner from HARNON is good as price and it is 1kg i think... so it would be good deal, only the problem may be if it is too much finical about baking. the other problem is that they want too much money to ship it to here - they ask for 200usd, instead of 60.

if somebody can give me link to good glue which i would be happy to check it :)

BTW
here have some interesting glues.. but maybe they are not enough strong to be used for voice coil winding?
http://www.parts-express.com

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Then go to his thread and ask what glue he recommends. Keep it simple though, it is his thread and his project, so while asking questions don't go in depth on your project, this would be considered hijacking his thread. The thread is quite extensive and long, the answer may already be there, which could be why he hasn't replied.

I do know he had to wait more than 24 hours for his glue to dry, maybe several days more. Certain forums I try to keep up on, though with this site it is impossible to follow them all.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Sorry guys. I did not rx any PM until now.
Post everything OP

{ed}
something is wrong with the PM of the forum.
I have PM turned on always

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
How ironic. As I was thinking about this question and the suggestions made in the rifaa thread, it occurred to me that some of the older, "simple" adhesives might be better than the newer epoxies (high temp = high cost) or cyanoacrylics (poor at high temp).

That glue recommended by rifaa is simply a phenol-formaldehyde glue. That is one of the older wood glues. As an alternative, one might consider a resorcinol glue (similar chemistry). See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resorcinol_glue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plywood

Both are widely available (at least where not prohibited by the anti-formaldehyde freaks) and should be relatively cheap. If you are into a little experimentation, consider the wood glues made by Titebond/Franklin. These are mostly PVA-based adhesives, but may work. The water-proof versions are "modified" and based on chemist-to chemist talks with the company's tech service, they may actually work similar to the formaldehyde-based adhesives mentioned above. The American brand is Titebond III. You might want to talk with some experienced woodworkers in Bulgaria to find a similar product.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The glue you recommended is phenol-formaldehyde with carbon black added for color. Those adhesives are still available in the US, to my knowledge. Otherwise, there is no secret to the formula. Resorcinol glues are available at some of our conventional hardware stores (not the big box kind).

As for bonding to kapton, I don't know. I haven't tried them. But, the phenol-formalkdehyde glue is what you recommended. Note, the brand you recommended contains some relatively strong organic solvents (like MEK, acetone -- I don't remember exactly the brew). I suspect those solvents may enhance grip on the kapton. You might get the same effect by wiping the kapton with the solvent just before applying a generic formaldehyde glue. Acetone is miscible with water and MEK has significant solubility in it. They could be added to the brew. Because both are ketones, they may also participate in the reaction (see: Mannich reaction, below).

MORE CHEMISTRY THAN YOU WANT OR NEED:

If you look up formaldehyde and its relative acetaldehyde, you will find a great deal about adhesives. Skip over the parts having to do with pentaerythritol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetaldehyde
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

I am not an expert on these adhesives, but the Mannich reaction is probably key to all of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannich_reaction

Finally, note that resorcinol is simply an "double" phenol. It is more reactive than phenol in Mannich-type reactions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resorcinol

John

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Browse through http://www.masterbond.com/ as I know they're worldwide.

If it's that Sony car speaker good luck finding a rebuilt cone or any parts for it, they're basically throw away devices. Parts Express can probably rewind it but the cost ???

Shipping something that heavy ain't gonna' be cheap either.

crazymaster

Joined May 20, 2010
i dont want rebuild kit, i want to make it myself... i enjoy the sound more if i had made my speakers and amplifiers :)

btw, masterbond.com have really interesting glue... it can reduce to 1400F, what do u think about it, do u have an idea how much is the price for it?

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
MasterBond make hundreds of standard adhesives and probably thousands of custom variations for their customers. You need to write them as to what you're interested in and they'll get you a price.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
değerli arkadaşlar sakın voice coil bomder almayınız 5 para etmez ben 150 usd dolar verip amerikadan getirdim verdiğim para boşa gitti daha bobini saramadan kuruyor ve kabarcıklı pütürlü bir duruma geliyor ben ses bobini sarım işi yapıyorum sürekli yeni bişeyler denemekteyim fabrikalar termoset vernik kullanmakta veya kendinden sv yapışkanlı bobin teli ve kendinden yapışkanlı kapton kullanmaktalar fakat bu sistem yüksek ısı altında çok kısa zamanda bobini sarmazmanız gerekiyor termoset vernik ise bobini sardıktan sonra 200 derecede fırında kurutmanız gerekiyor bu işlemde çok zahmatli ben eniyi çözüm rapit bond epoksi yapıştırıcı kullanıyorum geç kuruyan eposide oluyor fakat onuda bobini sardıktan sonra 150-200 derecede frında kurutmanı gerekiyor diyeceklerim bu kadar acil durumlarda bally balkoda kullanabilirsiniz denedim oluyor aliminyum folyaya bile yapışıyor frınlamaya gerek yok
First
değerli arkadaşlar sakın voice coil bomder almayınız 5 para etmez ben 150 usd dolar verip amerikadan getirdim verdiğim para boşa gitti daha bobini saramadan kuruyor ve kabarcıklı pütürlü bir duruma geliyor ben ses bobini sarım işi yapıyorum sürekli yeni bişeyler denemekteyim fabrikalar termoset vernik kullanmakta veya kendinden sv yapışkanlı bobin teli ve kendinden yapışkanlı kapton kullanmaktalar fakat bu sistem yüksek ısı altında çok kısa zamanda bobini sarmazmanız gerekiyor termoset vernik ise bobini sardıktan sonra 200 derecede fırında kurutmanız gerekiyor bu işlemde çok zahmatli ben eniyi çözüm rapit bond epoksi yapıştırıcı kullanıyorum geç kuruyan eposide oluyor fakat onuda bobini sardıktan sonra 150-200 derecede frında kurutmanı gerekiyor diyeceklerim bu kadar acil durumlarda bally balkoda kullanabilirsiniz denedim oluyor aliminyum folyaya bile yapışıyor frınlamaya gerek yok
Hello!

Welcome to AAC! May I respectfully give you information about this forum?

First, it is an English-only forum.So please make your posts in English. You can use online translators to help you.

Secondly, responding to an old post (this one is almost 10 years old) is considered “necroposting”. Reviving an old, dead thread. It is recommended that you start a new thread of your own. You can copy and paste a link to the old thread, but please create a new one for your question.

I enjoy helping new members, but since I cannot read your post I am unable to provide help.

Once again, welcome!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@msdava , This is considered to be an english only site.
I have used Google translate to translate your text:

valued friends do not buy voice coil bomder 5 not worth the money I gave 150 usd dollars and I brought from America went to waste more money is winding up the winding and winding up a state of coarse I am trying to do something new continuous sound coil winding factories to use thermoset or self adhesive sv wire and self-adhesive kapton use, but this system under high temperature in a very short time you need to wind the coil thermoset varnish after winding the coil at 200 degrees in the oven you need to dry in this process is very difficult I use the best solution rapit bond epoxy adhesive, but after winding the winding eposide him I need to dry at 150-200 degrees fr I need to say that in case of emergency you can use bally balcony is tried even aluminum foil sticks to do not need to fring

Also as mentioned, you revived an old dead thread.
Next time start a new thread with a link to the thread you wanted to comment on.

Bertus