What glue for coiling voice coils?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by crazymaster, May 20, 2010.

1. crazymaster

Thread Starter New Member

May 20, 2010
    Hello!
    I am new here, but i think that here i can find useful information :)

I need to repair some voice coils... from 1" to 3"
    You know that i need high temperature glue... maybe which can stand more than 150-200degrees

Can you please help me to find something good ?
    I tried to find some good glues, but i cant...

That seems interesting and have good price:
    https://www.galesburgelectric.com/CRC-14055-RTV-Silicone-Adhesive-and-Sealant-Clear-7.25oz..html
    but it says "silicone" maybe thats not good for winding voice coils :(

Any help is welcome, and links to online shops.
    Also... maybe using capton is better than aluminium and glass fibre, right?

Thanks in advance!

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
  3. crazymaster

May 20, 2010
    thanks for your answer :)
    i registered in this forum just because the thread which you gave link to :)
    About the Voice Coil Adhesive, have you tried it... is it good ?
    It says that it is for bonding the voice coil to spider and speaker cone, not for coiling it? Also i was talked with LLS support... but they dont give me any information about temperatures which it can stand?

Voice Coil Bonder... is it good? I also found it before a few weeks, but still wondering if it can be used easily and if it is good deal...
    I think that it is really hard to work with it?

Any other suggestions?
    And if the price is not so high(maybe and the size of bottles) would be great :) if thats possible.. haha :)

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I have not use either. Rifaa will see this and could give you some info from his experiences.

5. crazymaster

May 20, 2010
    i hope so... i tried to contact him, but i can't find PM option or chat client :)
    also from a few weeks i am thinking about making voice coil winding machine, as i see he had done his own :)

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

@ crazymaster:
    You have blocked the PM possibility.
    You can not contact R!f@@ , and he can not answer back.

From the FAQ:

Bertus

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  7. crazymaster

May 20, 2010
    other suggestions about the glue ?

8. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Have you tried the ones already suggested?

9. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    At what temperature do you need it? There is a big difference depending on whether you meant F or C.

John

10. crazymaster

May 20, 2010
    jpanhalt
    i mean celsius not fahrenheit
    retched
    i have not tried them, because i am not sure that the glue from LLS is for my case... and Voice Coil Bonder seems really hard to work(but if i cant find something better i can try it...)
    also the other one which i suggested.. what do you think about it? is it for voice coils ? why it says silicone? maybe its not for voice coil repair?

11. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    200°C (392°F) is quite warm and many of the common, homeowner adhesives will not work well. Have you looked at industrial transformer varnishes?

http://www.sprayon-insulatingvarnis...n=Sprayon-IV&gclid=CL_6s56J5KECFQpLbQodT22EJQ

http://www.dolphs.com/dolphs_varnishes_epoxies_resins.cfm

Both sites require one to register to get datasheets. Dolphs seems to offer free samples too.

You might also check the adhesive pages of McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com). On page 3375 it lists a high-temp epoxy good to 500°F. Also, several of the Permabonds (page 3381) are usable up to 482°F. The Permabonds are available with lower viscosity, so they might work better in your application.

John

12. crazymaster

May 20, 2010
    really vad story...
    mcmaster.com dont want to help me, they cant deliver to Bulgaria

any other ideas or people who can send me glue which can help me would be great... i will pay in advance
    or other useful links are welcome

13. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    How was anyone to know you were in Bulgaria? At least the McMaster catalog can give you leads for what might work. Then look for local sources. All of the manufacturers in the McMaster listing are large, international corporations.

A quick fix to not knowing your location is to go to User CP and enter your country, or at least your time zone.

John

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  14. crazymaster

May 20, 2010
    i just asked them and also dolphs.com(still no answer from them)

yes.. sorry i thought that most of the online stores can ship to everywhere...

In our country nowhere i can find what i need, or the price would be like a few new speakers... which is not good

15. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    In my experience, it is not the cost or inconvenience of shipping something internationally, it is the PITA of dealing with customs in the receiving country. An individual might have the same problem shipping to you.

Still, Henkel/Loctite is a German company. I am almost certain it has something that will work for you. Cost? That is another matter. You can see that cost in USD for some of the products is pretty high even without shipping costs.

If your temperature specification was not so high, then a lot of less expensive products might work -- including simple transformer varnish. John

16. crazymaster

May 20, 2010
    yeah... usually i am working with epoxy which says 100degrees on it, but thats not enough, at least 150 degrees would be ok, but more is welcome...

BTW.... i am still waiting Rifaa to response to this thread, because i cant ask him in private... but i think that he maybe have good solution to my problem :)

17. crazymaster

May 20, 2010
    i am still searching for some not so expensive glue- no more than 50-100usd per kg
    which can work with at least 150C, and it will be best if it is easy to work with...?

18. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    1) Cheap
    2) High performance
    3) Readily available and easy to use.

You can't have all three. You may be lucky to get two out of three. Which two is it for you?

John

19. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Were the speakers burned out by an acid-rock band?
    Why not use speakers that are rated for high power?

20. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Are you rebuilding a speaker? If so, you can buy replacement cone kits for many of the major brands.

This place will also give you free quotes for rewinding/rebuilding speakers of most any type: http://www.partsexpress.com

Aside from that GC used to make a universal speaker glue for the voice coils & spiders but it probably wouldn't work on anything other than common pressed board or aluminum cores. Look through http://www.mcmelectronics.com as they may have a fairly decent selection of different types available.