What does your workbench look like?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Your education at work again, nice work. Disney World your next stop.
Has every one been to Disney World. May be they have a work bench
for you in there under ground city,ask Bill.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Perhaps The Maldives is not a paradise after all. No dogs. Fine by me. No boose. Well after all boose is not aqua vitae or the water of life. No need for that. But no scopes. How is it possible. That is inhuman. I think even Lossy would agree to that.
Actually I want a scope but the these times are really tough for luxury. Since All our money is spent on our home.

Boose is awright in resorts. We can enjoy those without authorities barging in.
By the way...Paradise is just a name given by you guys to the beauty of white sands and blue seas. So I like to use it since I prefer not telling all from where I am. In FB I currently reside in Australia. :D

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U will drown in EMI....U will suffer long term EMI....you will die when ur time comes.
you will be poisoned by EMI.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

bribri

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Is this part of your video synthesizer that you said that you have been working on?
basically.
i cobbled together a 16f84a program to make colourbars at 800x600 SVGA resolution. actually, what's pictured there is my 1024x768 attempt which caused a skewed image.

bribri

Joined Feb 20, 2011
May I ask what that panel is doing...
well, yes.
each number element within each nixie-tube corresponds to the brightness of a video image. in this way, video luma 0-100 is expressed as a number: digits 0-9 and everything in between so to speak.
since the numbers within the tubes are not actually stacked in numerical sequence, i opted to make low luma values correspond to digits at the back of the tube, and bright levels the front of the tube, this actually makes for a neat 3D effect.
multiplexing of the nixies is synchronized to the video input, in this way, different tubes correspond to different areas of the video image.

Any more pictures of the photoframe? It looks excellent.
oh thanks : )

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
So you have a frame that samples areas of the video input and displays their scaled brightness? All that in real time?

With that context, I could call this art.

bribri

Joined Feb 20, 2011
So you have a frame that samples areas of the video input and displays their scaled brightness? All that in real time?
well... essentially, yeah. but i'd prefer to refer to it in the pre-computer terminology of "instantaneous".
"realtime" feels so 'digital'.

With that context, I could call this art.
ha : )
you're on to me.
the photos were indeed shot at a museum of contemporary art :rolleyes:

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I agree, very artistic, very mesmerizing, I want one :D
It would make for a great prop in a cold-war movie.

Reminds me of when me and a female friend of mine and I had a very intense discussion over whether things like code and circuits could be considered art. (pretty sure my art teacher doesn't know what to make of most of the sketches I turn in ;))

Obviously, I thought a code or a schematic or a pcb or just the component layout and wire-laying could be art, she didn't. Beauty is in they eye of the beholder I guess.

(this is all great motivation to finish that clock:D)

bribri

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Reminds me of when me and a female friend of mine and I had a very intense discussion over whether things like code and circuits could be considered art.
sko,
i'm slightly ashamed to report that the very truth of the whole matter actually depends on whether you slept together : / not my logic, just a commonly held reading of all human endeavors (see freud)

(this is all great motivation to finish that clock:D)
do it.
but there's an art old saying to the effect that as the functionality of an object decreases -> it's artistic worth increases.
though i don't always agree with its wisdom, i often feel somewhat bound to it.
now don't get me wrong, i love nixie clocks, and i owe a great dept in terms of inspiration and knowledge. but i personally could never have initiated my enthusiasm in the form of a clock.... such functionality would have eclipsed the shear beauty and aesthetic potential of such a weird object: the nixie.