What does unit credit mean???

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I keep hearing and seeing "unit credit", mostly from college students. But what is it?

Here is an example, but this is for High School.

I also heard that if you failed X unit then you're going to repeat. Let's say X is 3.0, does that mean if you failed English I and Science I, you're repeating?

Thanks!

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
Credits earned have nothing to do with grades earned other than the fact that you have to pass the course to earn credit. Grades matter when you figure GPA (grade point average) which in turn determines your class rank compared to other students that are the same year as you in the school. Usually an A is 4 points, B 3 points, etc. The number of points earned is divied by the # classes taken is the gpa. This is a cummulative figure throughout your high school career & a factor in getting into college. So even classes like pe and art matter in the long run.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
I'd talk to my school counselor and not anonymous people on the internet. Last thing you want to do is mess up your education.
Pardon me but I am too shy to discuss this with my teachers as it is not commonly discussed with students. Only teachers know this staff, i.e. from our school. I'm just curious with unit credit.

So meaning, for example, I passed in Math 1, I get 1.5 unit credit?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Pardon me but I am too shy to discuss this with my teachers as it is not commonly discussed with students. Only teachers know this staff, i.e. from our school. I'm just curious with unit credit.

So meaning, for example, I passed in Math 1, I get 1.5 unit credit?

Well you need to get over your shyness. I am shy too but you need to get over it sometimes and force yourself to discuss things that should be discussed.

It is sad that the teacher or staff is not willing to talk to you about anything, no matter how trivial. Your education is very important. And it really helps to be able to talk to your teachers or staff members to make sure you are on the right track for your education.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
when you pass a course, you get the credits for that course, so passing math 1 will get you 1.5 credits, passing Filipino 1 will get you 0.9 credits. Notice it says Core subjects - that means you have to take and pass all of those subjects in order to graduate - so if you failed any of those you will have to repeat them as they are CORE. Now, I am not sure what additional subjects are - it is hard to say whether they are mandatory or not. The electives are up to you to chose. The chart does not give any idea of total number of credits (over 4 years) needed to graduate - it will be made up of core courses and you electives. You will get the credit as long as you pass the course. This is like the college/university system in Canada/US.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
We don't learn Filipino in Canadian skools but instead we learn'd Phrench. I can't remember any of the Phrench I learn'd in skool 50 years ago since I never talked to anybody in Phrench.
Hardly anybody in Canada speeks Phrench (only the government and a few people in Quebec). Bonjour.:rolleyes:

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Well you need to get over your shyness. I am shy too but you need to get over it sometimes and force yourself to discuss things that should be discussed.

It is sad that the teacher or staff is not willing to talk to you about anything, no matter how trivial. Your education is very important. And it really helps to be able to talk to your teachers or staff members to make sure you are on the right track for your education.
You mistook my point. Actually, unit credit is not discussed in our school and maybe to some others. Only teachers know this. Unit point is not that important, I think. I'm just curious.:D

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Only teachers know this. Unit point is not that important, I think. I'm just curious.
The purpose of those unit point credit should be written somewhere. Your teacher should be able to explain it to you. All you need to do is step up and ask. You can ask them where you can find out more information about the unit point credit and their usage.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
The purpose of those unit point credit should be written somewhere. Your teacher should be able to explain it to you. All you need to do is step up and ask. You can ask them where you can find out more information about the unit point credit and their usage.
It's okay. I will find a spot to ask them. Thanks everyone!