What does the gate part of this IGBT symbol represent?

the_randomizer

Joined Jan 3, 2017
I don't often see this kind of IGBT symbol, and I'm curious as to why the gate is drawn as it is. If you have information or ideas, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

IGBT symbol.png

the_randomizer

Joined Jan 3, 2017
Thanks! I know that, and as I'd mentioned, I'm asking why the gate of this particular symbol is drawn like this, with the box.

To clarify: I haven't seen this iteration before, and I'd like to understand it better. I've researched the different IGBT symbols that are commonly used, and noted their differences, but this appears to be unique.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Do you have a schematic diagram in which this symbol appears? If so, maybe the context will provide some hint as to what it is.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It more than likely represents a gate driver sub circuit either built into the devices or as a separate circuit of the overall system.

S Haque

Joined Jan 2, 2017

To clarify: I haven't seen this iteration before, and I'd like to understand it better. I've researched the different IGBT symbols that are commonly used, and noted their differences, but this appears to be unique.
Since the associated components of the "driver" to the gate of the IGBT may be discrete components that form an essentially charged pump supply, perhaps the designers were simplifying the schematic using the "stuff goes here" drawing method. That said, perhaps when the diagram was published, mosfet/igbt pre-drivers were not readily available ? who knows ... In my old circuit, U$1 and the R2 formed the gate driver sub-ciruit. Trigger Pulse IN (TPIPD_IN) was a standard 3V logic high/low. TPIPD_OUT was the critical output, it had to work, and be managed carefully (once the IXDN604 was brought TPIPD_IN low, energy was still stored in the chip for at least one or two additional triggers. I need to figure out how to bleed that once I redo this circuit in a few months.

Capture.PNG

Attachments