What does nos stand for in a rotary switch?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jleslie48, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jleslie48

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    for example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/160635068810

NOS OAK 3pole 3throw Rotary switches.

0.25" Panel mount with hardware.

Shaft is 0.125" dia" (flat side shaft), Shaft length is 0.125", Body is 0.5"Dia x 0.6"L

Part number on control is: OAK5-21347-427

2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    From the eBay Guide, "NOS: 'New Old Stock' generally refers to a 'lot' or 'bulk' items that have been discovered tucked away from an old store or business. Generally these items are in their original packaging which generally has 'shelf dust,' but the actual item has been protected.". See eBay Guide - What does MIB, NIB, NRFB, NOS mean?

3. jleslie48

Jan 6, 2012
    Ahhh! thank you. it never occurred to me that it might be an ebay acronym, I was thinking EE terms, normally open, non-shorting,... thanks!

4. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    The term is generally used, by other dealers than eBay. It is particularly often heard in the context of obsolete or obsolescent items, to distinguish old but unused items left over from original manufacture from possible alternatives such as part-worn items or newly manufactured substitutes.

Sometimes NOS parts will have exceeded their intended shelf lives, if in fact these were ever defined in the first place. This may (or may not) substantially reduce their fitness for use or life expectancies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_old_stock

5. jleslie48

Jan 6, 2012

I think I'll be pretty safe with a rotary switch.

6. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    You probably will be, but contact oxidation and solderability issues are not out of the question. That said, a lot of stuff can be used way beyond the intended storage time, especially with a little attention to cleaning and fluxing.

Providing the old stock hasn't been stored say in a damp warehouse in a tropical climate.
    When it comes to eBay, caveat emptor!